Mar 2, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
When Paul Martin didn’t play during the third period of Pittsburgh’s 4-1 loss to Carolina on Thursday, they hoped it wouldn’t keep him out of action. It appears that won’t be the case.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Martin will not play tonight in Montreal against the Canadiens. Yohe says Martin’s injury isn’t serious and he could be back in the lineup as soon as Monday.
Martin’s play this year has been a huge boon for the Penguins after he struggled so much last season. This season, he’s put up four goals and 11 assists tying him with Kris Letang for top point production on the blue line.
With Martin out, this could lead to Mark Eaton’s return to the Penguins lineup after signing a one-year deal with the team earlier this week.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)