Mar 2, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
When Paul Martin didn’t play during the third period of Pittsburgh’s 4-1 loss to Carolina on Thursday, they hoped it wouldn’t keep him out of action. It appears that won’t be the case.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Martin will not play tonight in Montreal against the Canadiens. Yohe says Martin’s injury isn’t serious and he could be back in the lineup as soon as Monday.
Martin’s play this year has been a huge boon for the Penguins after he struggled so much last season. This season, he’s put up four goals and 11 assists tying him with Kris Letang for top point production on the blue line.
With Martin out, this could lead to Mark Eaton’s return to the Penguins lineup after signing a one-year deal with the team earlier this week.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)