Mar 2, 2013, 12:51 PM EST
When Paul Martin didn’t play during the third period of Pittsburgh’s 4-1 loss to Carolina on Thursday, they hoped it wouldn’t keep him out of action. It appears that won’t be the case.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Martin will not play tonight in Montreal against the Canadiens. Yohe says Martin’s injury isn’t serious and he could be back in the lineup as soon as Monday.
Martin’s play this year has been a huge boon for the Penguins after he struggled so much last season. This season, he’s put up four goals and 11 assists tying him with Kris Letang for top point production on the blue line.
With Martin out, this could lead to Mark Eaton’s return to the Penguins lineup after signing a one-year deal with the team earlier this week.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 27
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)