Mar 2, 2013, 7:43 PM EDT
It’s early on Saturday, but things have already been pretty rough for Florida Panthers goaltenders.
Most importantly, Jose Theodore left the team’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes with what the Miami Herald’s George Richards describes as an apparent knee injury. He won’t return to tonight’s game.
As Richards points out, the 36-year-old netminder has a history of knee issues.
Theodore made way for backup Scott Clemmensen, who allowed three goals on three consecutive shots shortly after taking over.
Florida faces an interesting scenario if Theodore’s injury is significant. Potential goalie of the future Jacob Markstrom made for a crowded net at times but could be the go-to guy. (We’re also required to mention the name Roberto Luongo, despite those rumors drying up weeks ago.)
Richards indicates that Markstrom, 23, is likely to get called up and maybe receive the next start (depending upon Theodore’s condition). We’ll see if he can run with that chance after going 0-2-0 during his last stay at the NHL level.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)