Mar 2, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
The Hurricanes defense is about to improve.
Carolina activated veteran defenseman Joni Pitkanen from injured reserve after missing seven games with a lower-body injury. Carolina went 3-4-0 in his absence and had a steady shuffle of blue liners being called up from AHL Charlotte to try and make things work.
In 12 games this year, Pitkanen has one goal and five assists as well as a team-leading plus-8 plus/minus rating. Now that he and fellow veteran Tim Gleason are back, the Hurricanes will set their eyes on taking back sole possession of first place in the Southeast Division.
While Pitkanen was out, the Winnipeg Jets have jumped into a first-place tie with Carolina while Tampa Bay sits two points back heading into today’s action.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)