Mar 2, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
The Hurricanes defense is about to improve.
Carolina activated veteran defenseman Joni Pitkanen from injured reserve after missing seven games with a lower-body injury. Carolina went 3-4-0 in his absence and had a steady shuffle of blue liners being called up from AHL Charlotte to try and make things work.
In 12 games this year, Pitkanen has one goal and five assists as well as a team-leading plus-8 plus/minus rating. Now that he and fellow veteran Tim Gleason are back, the Hurricanes will set their eyes on taking back sole possession of first place in the Southeast Division.
While Pitkanen was out, the Winnipeg Jets have jumped into a first-place tie with Carolina while Tampa Bay sits two points back heading into today’s action.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 13
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 7
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 30
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)