Mar 2, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
The Hurricanes defense is about to improve.
Carolina activated veteran defenseman Joni Pitkanen from injured reserve after missing seven games with a lower-body injury. Carolina went 3-4-0 in his absence and had a steady shuffle of blue liners being called up from AHL Charlotte to try and make things work.
In 12 games this year, Pitkanen has one goal and five assists as well as a team-leading plus-8 plus/minus rating. Now that he and fellow veteran Tim Gleason are back, the Hurricanes will set their eyes on taking back sole possession of first place in the Southeast Division.
While Pitkanen was out, the Winnipeg Jets have jumped into a first-place tie with Carolina while Tampa Bay sits two points back heading into today’s action.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 0
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 23
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (56)