Mar 2, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
Imagine what may or may not have happened to Viktor Fasth‘s National Hockey League career – still in its infancy despite being 30 years of age – if he hadn’t chosen to be a goalie?
According to a New York Times article published Thursday, Fasth actually played forward until he was a teenager. He then made the switch to the crease at age 13.
“My dad wanted me to play forward,” Fasth told the New York Times. “I tried it until I was 13.”
“I liked the masks…I thought they were pretty cool.
“It’s a real challenge to be a goalie,” he said. “It’s a thin line between being a hero or the one that causes you to lose.”
Fasth has recently given way to Jonas Hiller, who missed 10 days in February due to injury.
Hiller backstopped the Ducks – winners of eight of their last nine games – to a 3-2 victory over the Minnesota Wild Friday night, to close out the NHL schedule for the evening.
But the emergence of Fasth, who late last month received a two-year contract extension worth $5.8 million, has given the Ducks a healthy one-two combination in goal.
As a result, the Ducks have improved their record to 15-3-1 and increased their lead in the Pacific Division to nine points over the Los Angeles Kings.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 42
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)