Mar 2, 2013, 1:00 AM EDT
Imagine what may or may not have happened to Viktor Fasth‘s National Hockey League career – still in its infancy despite being 30 years of age – if he hadn’t chosen to be a goalie?
According to a New York Times article published Thursday, Fasth actually played forward until he was a teenager. He then made the switch to the crease at age 13.
“My dad wanted me to play forward,” Fasth told the New York Times. “I tried it until I was 13.”
“I liked the masks…I thought they were pretty cool.
“It’s a real challenge to be a goalie,” he said. “It’s a thin line between being a hero or the one that causes you to lose.”
Fasth has recently given way to Jonas Hiller, who missed 10 days in February due to injury.
Hiller backstopped the Ducks – winners of eight of their last nine games – to a 3-2 victory over the Minnesota Wild Friday night, to close out the NHL schedule for the evening.
But the emergence of Fasth, who late last month received a two-year contract extension worth $5.8 million, has given the Ducks a healthy one-two combination in goal.
As a result, the Ducks have improved their record to 15-3-1 and increased their lead in the Pacific Division to nine points over the Los Angeles Kings.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)