Mar 2, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Alex Steen‘s shoulder injury is apparently a bit worse off than the Blues thought.
The team placed the scoring forward on injured reserve with what they’re officially calling an upper body injury. He suffered the injury at practice on Tuesday, but Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch tweets the injury is more serious than they first thought.
Steen had gotten off to a great start this season scoring four goals with 12 assists through 18 games and tied with Kevin Shattenkirk for the team lead in points. With the Blues’ up and down offensive play of late, losing one of their top playmakers isn’t going to help matters much.
The Blues start a five-game road trip tomorrow in Dallas. Steen’s absence, if extended, could turn into a problem away from home.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 46
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 35
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)