Mar 1, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT
The incident occurred with four minutes remaining in the third period, with the Oilers comfortably ahead 5-1. That turned out to be the final score. For the Stars, a call from the NHL for further discipline on Benn might be coming. He was given a major for cross checking and a game misconduct, when he decked Jones from behind near the Stars bench.
Jones had previously bumped Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen while driving to the net.
The Edmonton Oilers offered a brief update on Jones after the game via the team’s official Twitter account.
“I’m sure they’re going to look at it. They look at any fives,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com of Benn’s penalty.
“It’s not a suspendable offense in my mind. Not a high hit or a head hit.”
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)