Mar 1, 2013, 1:53 AM EST
The incident occurred with four minutes remaining in the third period, with the Oilers comfortably ahead 5-1. That turned out to be the final score. For the Stars, a call from the NHL for further discipline on Benn might be coming. He was given a major for cross checking and a game misconduct, when he decked Jones from behind near the Stars bench.
Jones had previously bumped Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen while driving to the net.
The Edmonton Oilers offered a brief update on Jones after the game via the team’s official Twitter account.
“I’m sure they’re going to look at it. They look at any fives,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com of Benn’s penalty.
“It’s not a suspendable offense in my mind. Not a high hit or a head hit.”
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)