Mar 1, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT
The incident occurred with four minutes remaining in the third period, with the Oilers comfortably ahead 5-1. That turned out to be the final score. For the Stars, a call from the NHL for further discipline on Benn might be coming. He was given a major for cross checking and a game misconduct, when he decked Jones from behind near the Stars bench.
Jones had previously bumped Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen while driving to the net.
The Edmonton Oilers offered a brief update on Jones after the game via the team’s official Twitter account.
“I’m sure they’re going to look at it. They look at any fives,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com of Benn’s penalty.
“It’s not a suspendable offense in my mind. Not a high hit or a head hit.”
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 0
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 12
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 65
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)