Mar 1, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT
The incident occurred with four minutes remaining in the third period, with the Oilers comfortably ahead 5-1. That turned out to be the final score. For the Stars, a call from the NHL for further discipline on Benn might be coming. He was given a major for cross checking and a game misconduct, when he decked Jones from behind near the Stars bench.
Jones had previously bumped Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen while driving to the net.
The Edmonton Oilers offered a brief update on Jones after the game via the team’s official Twitter account.
“I’m sure they’re going to look at it. They look at any fives,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com of Benn’s penalty.
“It’s not a suspendable offense in my mind. Not a high hit or a head hit.”
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 24
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 40
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 34
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21