Mar 1, 2013, 1:53 AM EDT
The incident occurred with four minutes remaining in the third period, with the Oilers comfortably ahead 5-1. That turned out to be the final score. For the Stars, a call from the NHL for further discipline on Benn might be coming. He was given a major for cross checking and a game misconduct, when he decked Jones from behind near the Stars bench.
Jones had previously bumped Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen while driving to the net.
The Edmonton Oilers offered a brief update on Jones after the game via the team’s official Twitter account.
“I’m sure they’re going to look at it. They look at any fives,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told NHL.com of Benn’s penalty.
“It’s not a suspendable offense in my mind. Not a high hit or a head hit.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)