Mar 1, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks – love them or hate them – have taken the hockey world by storm.
Friday night, they extended their streak without a regulation loss to start the 2013 season to 21 games. Dating back to last March, they have now gone undefeated in regulation in 27 regular games.
Brent Seabrook scored the overtime winner, as the Blackhawks defeated the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-3. The Jackets held a one-goal lead late in the second period, before Patrick Sharp and Bryan Bickell scored 59 seconds apart to take the lead. It turned out those two goals would help push the game into overtime, thus continuing the streak.
There was instant reaction on Twitter.
CHI wins another one. Great GWG in OT by Brent Seabrook on a terrific set up by Jonathan Toews. 18-0-3 on the season.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) March 02, 2013
Like the inevitable inescapable drumbeat of human mortality, the Blackhawks won again—
Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) March 02, 2013
The Heat won tonight. So did the Blackhawks. Haven't we heard this story before?—
Sports Illustrated (@SInow) March 02, 2013
Should the Blackhawks force Sunday’s contest against the Detroit Red Wings to overtime – or they could just win in regulation – they would tie the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens for the second longest undefeated streak in NHL history at 28 games.
The Philadelphia Flyers from 1979-80 still have the longest streak at 35 games without a regulation loss.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 6
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1