Mar 1, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks – love them or hate them – have taken the hockey world by storm.
Friday night, they extended their streak without a regulation loss to start the 2013 season to 21 games. Dating back to last March, they have now gone undefeated in regulation in 27 regular games.
Brent Seabrook scored the overtime winner, as the Blackhawks defeated the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-3. The Jackets held a one-goal lead late in the second period, before Patrick Sharp and Bryan Bickell scored 59 seconds apart to take the lead. It turned out those two goals would help push the game into overtime, thus continuing the streak.
There was instant reaction on Twitter.
CHI wins another one. Great GWG in OT by Brent Seabrook on a terrific set up by Jonathan Toews. 18-0-3 on the season.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) March 02, 2013
Like the inevitable inescapable drumbeat of human mortality, the Blackhawks won again—
Bruce Arthur (@bruce_arthur) March 02, 2013
The Heat won tonight. So did the Blackhawks. Haven't we heard this story before?—
Sports Illustrated (@SInow) March 02, 2013
Should the Blackhawks force Sunday’s contest against the Detroit Red Wings to overtime – or they could just win in regulation – they would tie the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens for the second longest undefeated streak in NHL history at 28 games.
The Philadelphia Flyers from 1979-80 still have the longest streak at 35 games without a regulation loss.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)