Mar 1, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks – love them or hate them – have taken the hockey world by storm.
Friday night, they extended their streak without a regulation loss to start the 2013 season to 21 games. Dating back to last March, they have now gone undefeated in regulation in 27 regular games.
Brent Seabrook scored the overtime winner, as the Blackhawks defeated the Columbus Blue Jackets 4-3. The Jackets held a one-goal lead late in the second period, before Patrick Sharp and Bryan Bickell scored 59 seconds apart to take the lead. It turned out those two goals would help push the game into overtime, thus continuing the streak.
There was instant reaction on Twitter.
Should the Blackhawks force Sunday’s contest against the Detroit Red Wings to overtime – or they could just win in regulation – they would tie the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens for the second longest undefeated streak in NHL history at 28 games.
The Philadelphia Flyers from 1979-80 still have the longest streak at 35 games without a regulation loss.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)