Mar 1, 2013, 1:23 AM EDT
After they squared off over Ryan O’Reilly, the Calgary Flames and Colorado Avalanche faced each other on the ice just hours later.
Earlier in the day, the Flames signed O’Reilly to an offer sheet only to have the Avalanche match it.
The Flames, perhaps motivated by the events earlier in the day, jumped out to a three-goal lead after the first period. That was reduced to a two-goal lead after 40 minutes.
By the time the game ended, the Avalanche had completed the comeback and were victorious by a score of 5-4.
“Big win for us,” Avalanche center Matt Duchene told The Denver Post. “Probably one of the best Avalanche wins I’ve ever been apart of.”
This is how Flames captain Jarome Iginla, who scored two goals, summed it up from his team’s perspective. Blowing the lead and then losing in the third period came with an unpleasant odour.
“On every goal there were major breakdowns, whether it was bad decisions or lack of effort,” Flames head coach Bob Hartley told NHL.com.
“We played a great first period and found a way to throw it to the dumpster. I’ve watched many games from last year and it seems to be the same song. We just stopped playing.”
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 5
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 7
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 15
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 2
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)