Mar 1, 2013, 1:23 AM EDT
After they squared off over Ryan O’Reilly, the Calgary Flames and Colorado Avalanche faced each other on the ice just hours later.
Earlier in the day, the Flames signed O’Reilly to an offer sheet only to have the Avalanche match it.
The Flames, perhaps motivated by the events earlier in the day, jumped out to a three-goal lead after the first period. That was reduced to a two-goal lead after 40 minutes.
By the time the game ended, the Avalanche had completed the comeback and were victorious by a score of 5-4.
“Big win for us,” Avalanche center Matt Duchene told The Denver Post. “Probably one of the best Avalanche wins I’ve ever been apart of.”
This is how Flames captain Jarome Iginla, who scored two goals, summed it up from his team’s perspective. Blowing the lead and then losing in the third period came with an unpleasant odour.
"There's no excuses. It's brutal. It stinks." – Jarome Iginla—
Calgary Flames (@NHLFlames) March 01, 2013
“On every goal there were major breakdowns, whether it was bad decisions or lack of effort,” Flames head coach Bob Hartley told NHL.com.
“We played a great first period and found a way to throw it to the dumpster. I’ve watched many games from last year and it seems to be the same song. We just stopped playing.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)