Mar 1, 2013, 6:57 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators got some good news on the injury front Friday as goalie Craig Anderson expanded his work in practice.
Anderson, who suffered sprained right ankle after colliding with Rangers forward Chris Kreider on Feb. 21, has missed Ottawa’s last four games — and it’ll be six games missed after this weekend, as he won’t face the Flyers on Saturday or the Isles on Sunday.
The 31-year-old ‘tender faced a few shots during Friday’s practice (seven, to be exact) and said he’s getting back into doing some normal hockey movements.
“I can skate, I can stop, I can push, I can do a lot of things that a forward can do,” Anderson told the Senators website. “I haven’t taken the step yet to see what a goalie can do.
“I think that’s going to be the next step is see how it is tomorrow [Saturday] and see if I can get into the butterfly at all.”
As for a timetable for return? Anderson doesn’t want to start picking dates on the calendar just yet.
“Nothing has been set in stone yet, we just kind of take it day by day and right now the progress is outstanding everyday,” he said. “Every day I can do more and more out there. That’s kind of where we’re at right now.”
Ben Bishop will get the start for Ottawa on Saturday against Philadelphia.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)