Mar 1, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators got some good news on the injury front Friday as goalie Craig Anderson expanded his work in practice.
Anderson, who suffered sprained right ankle after colliding with Rangers forward Chris Kreider on Feb. 21, has missed Ottawa’s last four games — and it’ll be six games missed after this weekend, as he won’t face the Flyers on Saturday or the Isles on Sunday.
The 31-year-old ‘tender faced a few shots during Friday’s practice (seven, to be exact) and said he’s getting back into doing some normal hockey movements.
“I can skate, I can stop, I can push, I can do a lot of things that a forward can do,” Anderson told the Senators website. “I haven’t taken the step yet to see what a goalie can do.
“I think that’s going to be the next step is see how it is tomorrow [Saturday] and see if I can get into the butterfly at all.”
As for a timetable for return? Anderson doesn’t want to start picking dates on the calendar just yet.
“Nothing has been set in stone yet, we just kind of take it day by day and right now the progress is outstanding everyday,” he said. “Every day I can do more and more out there. That’s kind of where we’re at right now.”
Ben Bishop will get the start for Ottawa on Saturday against Philadelphia.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)