Mar 1, 2013, 6:57 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators got some good news on the injury front Friday as goalie Craig Anderson expanded his work in practice.
Anderson, who suffered sprained right ankle after colliding with Rangers forward Chris Kreider on Feb. 21, has missed Ottawa’s last four games — and it’ll be six games missed after this weekend, as he won’t face the Flyers on Saturday or the Isles on Sunday.
The 31-year-old ‘tender faced a few shots during Friday’s practice (seven, to be exact) and said he’s getting back into doing some normal hockey movements.
“I can skate, I can stop, I can push, I can do a lot of things that a forward can do,” Anderson told the Senators website. “I haven’t taken the step yet to see what a goalie can do.
“I think that’s going to be the next step is see how it is tomorrow [Saturday] and see if I can get into the butterfly at all.”
As for a timetable for return? Anderson doesn’t want to start picking dates on the calendar just yet.
“Nothing has been set in stone yet, we just kind of take it day by day and right now the progress is outstanding everyday,” he said. “Every day I can do more and more out there. That’s kind of where we’re at right now.”
Ben Bishop will get the start for Ottawa on Saturday against Philadelphia.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks