Mar 1, 2013, 8:57 AM EST
Ryan O’Reilly signed an offer sheet with the Calgary Flames yesterday that comes with an average annual value of $5 million and will pay him $6.5 million in 2013-14.
Mere hours later, the Colorado Avalanche matched it, which means the organization and player are stuck together for at least a year.
That might be awkward considering the Avalanche previously balked at O’Reilly’s contract demands and his father wrote a scathing email to the Denver Post, blasting the organization and how it handled contract negotiations.
Then again, both sides might be able to put this all behind them.
O’Reilly took a step in that direction when he said via Twitter, “Sorry to everyone about the situation. I’m very glad to say that it is over and I now can focus on what I love to do.”
The 22-year-old two-way center also expressed his excitement at the prospect of joining “back up with the boys” and playing in front of the Avalanche fans.
When asked if he thought O’Reilly’s deal was a “little outrageous,” Duchene sidestepped the question.
“It’s not my job to worry about that,” Duchene told the Denver Post. “My job is to go play hockey. So, that’s management’s job.”
At the same time, Duchene also said that it will be good to get O’Reilly back in the room.
“We’re all friends with him and it’s going to be good to have him back,” Duchene said.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)