Mar 1, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
Ryan O’Reilly signed an offer sheet with the Calgary Flames yesterday that comes with an average annual value of $5 million and will pay him $6.5 million in 2013-14.
Mere hours later, the Colorado Avalanche matched it, which means the organization and player are stuck together for at least a year.
That might be awkward considering the Avalanche previously balked at O’Reilly’s contract demands and his father wrote a scathing email to the Denver Post, blasting the organization and how it handled contract negotiations.
Then again, both sides might be able to put this all behind them.
O’Reilly took a step in that direction when he said via Twitter, “Sorry to everyone about the situation. I’m very glad to say that it is over and I now can focus on what I love to do.”
The 22-year-old two-way center also expressed his excitement at the prospect of joining “back up with the boys” and playing in front of the Avalanche fans.
When asked if he thought O’Reilly’s deal was a “little outrageous,” Duchene sidestepped the question.
“It’s not my job to worry about that,” Duchene told the Denver Post. “My job is to go play hockey. So, that’s management’s job.”
At the same time, Duchene also said that it will be good to get O’Reilly back in the room.
“We’re all friends with him and it’s going to be good to have him back,” Duchene said.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 0
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 7
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 39
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 48
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (48)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)