Mar 1, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Sounds as though Alexei Kovalev‘s time with the Florida Panthers will soon come to an end.
Kovalev, 40, didn’t travel with Florida to Carolina — the Panthers and ‘Canes play on Saturday — and head coach Kevin Dineen said an announcement about the veteran forward’s future is pending.
Here’s more, from the Miami Herald’s George Richards:
— George Richards (@GeorgeRichards) March 1, 2013
Kovalev has been a healthy scratch on numerous occasions this year, appearing in 14 of Florida’s 20 games thus far. He’s scored 2G-3A-5PTS with a minus-1 rating, but only has one point in his last seven contests.
The former Ranger, Penguin, Canadien and Senator signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the Panthers in early January, a deal that included games-played bonuses. The deal marked his return to the NHL after a one-year hiatus.
Update: Here’s more context, from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie…
Its over for Alex Kovalev and the Panthers. Team wants him to retired, but he still wants to be paid.
— Renaud Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) March 1, 2013
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 3
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 28
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)