Mar 1, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
Sounds as though Alexei Kovalev‘s time with the Florida Panthers will soon come to an end.
Kovalev, 40, didn’t travel with Florida to Carolina — the Panthers and ‘Canes play on Saturday — and head coach Kevin Dineen said an announcement about the veteran forward’s future is pending.
Here’s more, from the Miami Herald’s George Richards:
— George Richards (@GeorgeRichards) March 1, 2013
Kovalev has been a healthy scratch on numerous occasions this year, appearing in 14 of Florida’s 20 games thus far. He’s scored 2G-3A-5PTS with a minus-1 rating, but only has one point in his last seven contests.
The former Ranger, Penguin, Canadien and Senator signed a one-year, $1 million deal with the Panthers in early January, a deal that included games-played bonuses. The deal marked his return to the NHL after a one-year hiatus.
Update: Here’s more context, from RDS’ Renaud Lavoie…
Its over for Alex Kovalev and the Panthers. Team wants him to retired, but he still wants to be paid.
— Renaud Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) March 1, 2013
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)