Mar 1, 2013, 10:56 PM EDT
Things seem to be going from bad to worse for Rick DiPietro.
On Friday, DiPietro, making his first appearance for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, allowed five goals on just 12 shots in the first period and was on the bench to start the second period.
Bridgeport lost the game 7-3 to the Connecticut Whale.
The past few weeks have seen DiPietro waved by the New York Islanders and eventually sent to Bridgeport of the American Hockey League. He also commented about contemplating suicide, although he later tried to clarify that his comments were facetious.
The Islanders released a statement earlier this week about the severity of DiPietro’s suicide remarks.
DiPietro still has eight years left on a 15-year contract worth $67.5 million with the New York Islanders. His NHL career has been severely stalled due to injuries and inconsistent play.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)