Mar 1, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman it will be a fine hearing, meaning Benn’s in line to be dinged for $5,000 or more.
The incident occurred with four minutes remaining in the third period, with the Oilers comfortably ahead 5-1. Benn was given a major for cross checking and a game misconduct when he decked Jones from behind near the Stars bench:
Jones had previously bumped Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen while driving to the net.
After the game, Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan said he figured the cross check would be reviewed by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“I’m sure they’re going to look at it,” he told NHL.com. “They look at any fives.
“It’s not a suspendable offense in my mind. Not a high hit or a head hit.”
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 25
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 69
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (69)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)