Mar 1, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman it will be a fine hearing, meaning Benn’s in line to be dinged for $5,000 or more.
The incident occurred with four minutes remaining in the third period, with the Oilers comfortably ahead 5-1. Benn was given a major for cross checking and a game misconduct when he decked Jones from behind near the Stars bench:
Jones had previously bumped Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen while driving to the net.
After the game, Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan said he figured the cross check would be reviewed by NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan.
“I’m sure they’re going to look at it,” he told NHL.com. “They look at any fives.
“It’s not a suspendable offense in my mind. Not a high hit or a head hit.”
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50