Mar 1, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
“I think that’s false,” Cole told Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette. “I don’t think that P.K. and I were in conflict.
“If we were, I don’t think P.K. would have tried to call my phone when I sent a group text to the guys informing them of the trade, that he’d have reached out to me after the fact.”
It’s unclear where the rumor came from, though one can probably guess.
This played into the theme of Subban’s *alleged* inability to get along with older teammates.
Specifically, the fights.
Oh, the fights.
Last February, the 23-year-old blueliner got into a practice scrap with David Desharnais, who became the third in a trilogy of veteran sparring partners (Subban also took on Mathieu Darche and, perhaps most famously, Tomas Plekanec.)
Subban’s also received his fair share of criticism for being brash, confident-bordering-on-cocky and overtly demonstrative, things that reportedly rubbed veterans the wrong way.
But there’s also something to be said about the misconception of Subban’s relationship with elder statesmen.
Back in 2011, much ado was made of the “feud” Subban supposedly had with veteran defenseman Hal Gill, only for it to later be revealed as a joke gone bad (or, misinterpreted by a reporter not familiar with the Subban-Gill relationship.)
As for Cole, he’s saying all the right things — publicly, anyway — about his former teammate.
“I sent him a text message, telling him, ‘Keep it simple, make the simple play and before you know it, you’ll be at the NHL awards,’” Cole told the Gazette. “That’s the truth, he’s that good of a player. P.K. is still figuring it out. He has all the talent in the world.
“It hasn’t all come together yet, but hopefully, it will.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)