Mar 1, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
“I think that’s false,” Cole told Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette. “I don’t think that P.K. and I were in conflict.
“If we were, I don’t think P.K. would have tried to call my phone when I sent a group text to the guys informing them of the trade, that he’d have reached out to me after the fact.”
It’s unclear where the rumor came from, though one can probably guess.
This played into the theme of Subban’s *alleged* inability to get along with older teammates.
Specifically, the fights.
Oh, the fights.
Last February, the 23-year-old blueliner got into a practice scrap with David Desharnais, who became the third in a trilogy of veteran sparring partners (Subban also took on Mathieu Darche and, perhaps most famously, Tomas Plekanec.)
Subban’s also received his fair share of criticism for being brash, confident-bordering-on-cocky and overtly demonstrative, things that reportedly rubbed veterans the wrong way.
But there’s also something to be said about the misconception of Subban’s relationship with elder statesmen.
Back in 2011, much ado was made of the “feud” Subban supposedly had with veteran defenseman Hal Gill, only for it to later be revealed as a joke gone bad (or, misinterpreted by a reporter not familiar with the Subban-Gill relationship.)
As for Cole, he’s saying all the right things — publicly, anyway — about his former teammate.
“I sent him a text message, telling him, ‘Keep it simple, make the simple play and before you know it, you’ll be at the NHL awards,’” Cole told the Gazette. “That’s the truth, he’s that good of a player. P.K. is still figuring it out. He has all the talent in the world.
“It hasn’t all come together yet, but hopefully, it will.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)