Mar 1, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
On Saturday, March 16, Vancouver will honor the first and only Stanley Cup championship in the city’s history as the Canucks will wear Vancouver Millionaires jerseys against the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s more, from Canucks.com:
The Vancouver Millionaires were the first professional hockey team on the West Coast, playing in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (PCHA) from 1912 through 1922.
The Millionaires swept a best-of-five interleague series to win the Stanley Cup in 1915 against the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey Association (which later became the National Hockey League).
The Millionaires played that series at home in the 10,500 seat Denman Arena built by Frank and Lester Patrick at the corner of Georgia and Denman.
The March 16th game also bears significance as the Canucks welcome the Red Wings. The Patricks’ other original PCHA team, the Victoria Cougars, transitioned leagues from the PCHA to Western Canada Hockey League then Western Hockey League before the NHL Detroit Cougars (now the Red Wings) purchased Victoria’s roster in 1926.
For more on the history of the Millionaires and this latest initiative, click here.
For a space to make jokes about Vancouver celebrating a Stanley Cup championship that happened 98 years ago, hit up the comments section.
(Photo courtesy Canucks.com)
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)