Mar 1, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
On Saturday, March 16, Vancouver will honor the first and only Stanley Cup championship in the city’s history as the Canucks will wear Vancouver Millionaires jerseys against the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s more, from Canucks.com:
The Vancouver Millionaires were the first professional hockey team on the West Coast, playing in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (PCHA) from 1912 through 1922.
The Millionaires swept a best-of-five interleague series to win the Stanley Cup in 1915 against the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey Association (which later became the National Hockey League).
The Millionaires played that series at home in the 10,500 seat Denman Arena built by Frank and Lester Patrick at the corner of Georgia and Denman.
The March 16th game also bears significance as the Canucks welcome the Red Wings. The Patricks’ other original PCHA team, the Victoria Cougars, transitioned leagues from the PCHA to Western Canada Hockey League then Western Hockey League before the NHL Detroit Cougars (now the Red Wings) purchased Victoria’s roster in 1926.
For more on the history of the Millionaires and this latest initiative, click here.
For a space to make jokes about Vancouver celebrating a Stanley Cup championship that happened 98 years ago, hit up the comments section.
(Photo courtesy Canucks.com)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)