Mar 1, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
On Saturday, March 16, Vancouver will honor the first and only Stanley Cup championship in the city’s history as the Canucks will wear Vancouver Millionaires jerseys against the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s more, from Canucks.com:
The Vancouver Millionaires were the first professional hockey team on the West Coast, playing in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (PCHA) from 1912 through 1922.
The Millionaires swept a best-of-five interleague series to win the Stanley Cup in 1915 against the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey Association (which later became the National Hockey League).
The Millionaires played that series at home in the 10,500 seat Denman Arena built by Frank and Lester Patrick at the corner of Georgia and Denman.
The March 16th game also bears significance as the Canucks welcome the Red Wings. The Patricks’ other original PCHA team, the Victoria Cougars, transitioned leagues from the PCHA to Western Canada Hockey League then Western Hockey League before the NHL Detroit Cougars (now the Red Wings) purchased Victoria’s roster in 1926.
For more on the history of the Millionaires and this latest initiative, click here.
For a space to make jokes about Vancouver celebrating a Stanley Cup championship that happened 98 years ago, hit up the comments section.
(Photo courtesy Canucks.com)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)