Mar 1, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
On Saturday, March 16, Vancouver will honor the first and only Stanley Cup championship in the city’s history as the Canucks will wear Vancouver Millionaires jerseys against the Detroit Red Wings.
Here’s more, from Canucks.com:
The Vancouver Millionaires were the first professional hockey team on the West Coast, playing in the Pacific Coast Hockey Association (PCHA) from 1912 through 1922.
The Millionaires swept a best-of-five interleague series to win the Stanley Cup in 1915 against the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey Association (which later became the National Hockey League).
The Millionaires played that series at home in the 10,500 seat Denman Arena built by Frank and Lester Patrick at the corner of Georgia and Denman.
The March 16th game also bears significance as the Canucks welcome the Red Wings. The Patricks’ other original PCHA team, the Victoria Cougars, transitioned leagues from the PCHA to Western Canada Hockey League then Western Hockey League before the NHL Detroit Cougars (now the Red Wings) purchased Victoria’s roster in 1926.
For more on the history of the Millionaires and this latest initiative, click here.
For a space to make jokes about Vancouver celebrating a Stanley Cup championship that happened 98 years ago, hit up the comments section.
(Photo courtesy Canucks.com)
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 13
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)