Mar 1, 2013, 3:13 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes continue to add to their expansive ownership group.
On Thursday, owner Peter Karmanos Jr. announced four new partners had come aboard — Epic Games vice president and co-founder Mark Rein and his wife Tara; PITT OHIO president and owner Chuck Hammel; and two investors who have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
This announcement comes 15 months after the ‘Canes announced a group of 10 new partners in the ownership of the team:
Eight of the ten partners are: Michael Kahn, Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. (James Goodmon, A.J. Fletcher Foundation), Matthew Szulik, Ice Puck LLC (Orris Temple Sloan, Jr.), Clancy & Theys Construction (David Tim Clancy, Joel Thomas Irving Clancy, Kathryn Virginia Clancy, Robert Todd Clancy, Sarah Elizabeth Sturm), Jim Rutherford, Hurricanes Investment, LLC (Abel Zalcberg, Barbara Zalcberg) and Whitney Holdings Inc. (Frederick J. Whitney, Timothy M. Whitney).
The remaining two investment partners have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
“These new partners are devoted to the continued success of the Hurricanes in North Carolina,” Karmanos said in a statement posted to the Hurricanes website. “Their investments in our team further solidify our franchise’s standing in the National Hockey League and the North Carolina sports community.”
This brings the grand total to at least 15 people, though there could be more anonymous investors that I’ve yet to account for.
As for the new members to the ownership group — Rein and Epic Games are the makers of a series of first-person shooters, notably the Infinity Blade and Gears of War series.
PITT OHIO is a transportation company based out of Pittsburgh, Pa., that operates in 10 different states.
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 11
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)