Mar 1, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes continue to add to their expansive ownership group.
On Thursday, owner Peter Karmanos Jr. announced four new partners had come aboard — Epic Games vice president and co-founder Mark Rein and his wife Tara; PITT OHIO president and owner Chuck Hammel; and two investors who have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
This announcement comes 15 months after the ‘Canes announced a group of 10 new partners in the ownership of the team:
Eight of the ten partners are: Michael Kahn, Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. (James Goodmon, A.J. Fletcher Foundation), Matthew Szulik, Ice Puck LLC (Orris Temple Sloan, Jr.), Clancy & Theys Construction (David Tim Clancy, Joel Thomas Irving Clancy, Kathryn Virginia Clancy, Robert Todd Clancy, Sarah Elizabeth Sturm), Jim Rutherford, Hurricanes Investment, LLC (Abel Zalcberg, Barbara Zalcberg) and Whitney Holdings Inc. (Frederick J. Whitney, Timothy M. Whitney).
The remaining two investment partners have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
“These new partners are devoted to the continued success of the Hurricanes in North Carolina,” Karmanos said in a statement posted to the Hurricanes website. “Their investments in our team further solidify our franchise’s standing in the National Hockey League and the North Carolina sports community.”
This brings the grand total to at least 15 people, though there could be more anonymous investors that I’ve yet to account for.
As for the new members to the ownership group — Rein and Epic Games are the makers of a series of first-person shooters, notably the Infinity Blade and Gears of War series.
PITT OHIO is a transportation company based out of Pittsburgh, Pa., that operates in 10 different states.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22