Mar 1, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes continue to add to their expansive ownership group.
On Thursday, owner Peter Karmanos Jr. announced four new partners had come aboard — Epic Games vice president and co-founder Mark Rein and his wife Tara; PITT OHIO president and owner Chuck Hammel; and two investors who have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
This announcement comes 15 months after the ‘Canes announced a group of 10 new partners in the ownership of the team:
Eight of the ten partners are: Michael Kahn, Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. (James Goodmon, A.J. Fletcher Foundation), Matthew Szulik, Ice Puck LLC (Orris Temple Sloan, Jr.), Clancy & Theys Construction (David Tim Clancy, Joel Thomas Irving Clancy, Kathryn Virginia Clancy, Robert Todd Clancy, Sarah Elizabeth Sturm), Jim Rutherford, Hurricanes Investment, LLC (Abel Zalcberg, Barbara Zalcberg) and Whitney Holdings Inc. (Frederick J. Whitney, Timothy M. Whitney).
The remaining two investment partners have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
“These new partners are devoted to the continued success of the Hurricanes in North Carolina,” Karmanos said in a statement posted to the Hurricanes website. “Their investments in our team further solidify our franchise’s standing in the National Hockey League and the North Carolina sports community.”
This brings the grand total to at least 15 people, though there could be more anonymous investors that I’ve yet to account for.
As for the new members to the ownership group — Rein and Epic Games are the makers of a series of first-person shooters, notably the Infinity Blade and Gears of War series.
PITT OHIO is a transportation company based out of Pittsburgh, Pa., that operates in 10 different states.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)