Mar 1, 2013, 3:13 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes continue to add to their expansive ownership group.
On Thursday, owner Peter Karmanos Jr. announced four new partners had come aboard — Epic Games vice president and co-founder Mark Rein and his wife Tara; PITT OHIO president and owner Chuck Hammel; and two investors who have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
This announcement comes 15 months after the ‘Canes announced a group of 10 new partners in the ownership of the team:
Eight of the ten partners are: Michael Kahn, Capitol Broadcasting Company, Inc. (James Goodmon, A.J. Fletcher Foundation), Matthew Szulik, Ice Puck LLC (Orris Temple Sloan, Jr.), Clancy & Theys Construction (David Tim Clancy, Joel Thomas Irving Clancy, Kathryn Virginia Clancy, Robert Todd Clancy, Sarah Elizabeth Sturm), Jim Rutherford, Hurricanes Investment, LLC (Abel Zalcberg, Barbara Zalcberg) and Whitney Holdings Inc. (Frederick J. Whitney, Timothy M. Whitney).
The remaining two investment partners have chosen to keep their partnerships private.
“These new partners are devoted to the continued success of the Hurricanes in North Carolina,” Karmanos said in a statement posted to the Hurricanes website. “Their investments in our team further solidify our franchise’s standing in the National Hockey League and the North Carolina sports community.”
This brings the grand total to at least 15 people, though there could be more anonymous investors that I’ve yet to account for.
As for the new members to the ownership group — Rein and Epic Games are the makers of a series of first-person shooters, notably the Infinity Blade and Gears of War series.
PITT OHIO is a transportation company based out of Pittsburgh, Pa., that operates in 10 different states.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)