Mar 1, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
It’s becoming old news. Or is it?
The Chicago Blackhawks defeated the St. Louis Blues 3-0 on Thursday night, extending their streak to 20 games without a regulation loss to begin the 2013 season. Their overall undefeated streak dates back to last March and is now at 26 games long.
That puts them just behind the second longest such streak, which recorded by the 1977-78 Montreal Canadiens, and nine back of the all-time longest streak, achieved by the Philadelphia Flyers in 1979-80.
Jonathan Toews scored twice for Chicago, including a goal 12 seconds into the game. The Blackhawks had to face some adversity, as well. Goaltender Corey Crawford left the game at the end of the first period with an upper body injury and is day-to-day.
“We have thick skin,” Toews told the Chicago Tribune.
“Whether there’s momentum going against us or a call we didn’t like or any sort of adversity that might get in our way, we’ve always been positive and stuck with it. We’ve been hungry and determined to win every single game.”
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 31
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 10
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 35
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)