Mar 1, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Back in January, the Panthers suspended Bergenheim after he was unable to attain medical clearance for a lower-body injury thought to be suffered while playing for HIFK of Finland’s SM-liiga during the lockout.
The 28-year-old winger, in the second of a four-year, $11 million deal with Florida, proceeded to file a two-part medical grievance against the organization on the basis his injury originally occurred prior to the lockout, not while playing in Finland.
Bergenheim was set to earn $2.75 million this season but, according to the rules of the lockout, the club was within its rights to suspend any player (without pay) that injured himself playing overseas.
McKenzie also notes that Bergenheim will miss the remainder of this season as he’s expected to have surgery on his hip/lower abdomen.
A former first-round selection of the New York Islanders, Bergenheim scored a career-high 17 goals for the Panthers last season and led the team in playoff scoring with six points in seven games.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 25
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 2
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)