Mar 1, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Back in January, the Panthers suspended Bergenheim after he was unable to attain medical clearance for a lower-body injury thought to be suffered while playing for HIFK of Finland’s SM-liiga during the lockout.
The 28-year-old winger, in the second of a four-year, $11 million deal with Florida, proceeded to file a two-part medical grievance against the organization on the basis his injury originally occurred prior to the lockout, not while playing in Finland.
Bergenheim was set to earn $2.75 million this season but, according to the rules of the lockout, the club was within its rights to suspend any player (without pay) that injured himself playing overseas.
McKenzie also notes that Bergenheim will miss the remainder of this season as he’s expected to have surgery on his hip/lower abdomen.
A former first-round selection of the New York Islanders, Bergenheim scored a career-high 17 goals for the Panthers last season and led the team in playoff scoring with six points in seven games.
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 8
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 3
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)