Feb 28, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
The Calgary Flames added some toughness today, acquiring forward Brian McGrattan from Nashville for minor-league defenseman Joe Piskula.
McGrattan, who was placed on waivers earlier in the week, has only played twice for the Predators this season. In 2011-12, the 31-year-old enforcer made 30 appearances for the Preds, registering no goals, two assists and 61 PIM.
This won’t be McGrattan’s first stretch with the Flames. He played 34 games for Calgary in 2009-10.
The move to acquire a player of McGrattan’s ilk shouldn’t come as a surprise after Calgary goalie Joey MacDonald was run over last week by the King’s Trevor Lewis, drawing little response from the Flames.
“They ran our goalie,” said Calgary coach Bob Hartley. “There was no consequences to this, and that’s just not acceptable.”
McGrattan has technically been assigned to AHL Abbotsford. Calgary first needs to open a roster spot for him to join the team.
Piskula, 28, will report to AHL Milwaukee.
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 3
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 28
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)