Feb 28, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames added some toughness today, acquiring forward Brian McGrattan from Nashville for minor-league defenseman Joe Piskula.
McGrattan, who was placed on waivers earlier in the week, has only played twice for the Predators this season. In 2011-12, the 31-year-old enforcer made 30 appearances for the Preds, registering no goals, two assists and 61 PIM.
This won’t be McGrattan’s first stretch with the Flames. He played 34 games for Calgary in 2009-10.
The move to acquire a player of McGrattan’s ilk shouldn’t come as a surprise after Calgary goalie Joey MacDonald was run over last week by the King’s Trevor Lewis, drawing little response from the Flames.
“They ran our goalie,” said Calgary coach Bob Hartley. “There was no consequences to this, and that’s just not acceptable.”
McGrattan has technically been assigned to AHL Abbotsford. Calgary first needs to open a roster spot for him to join the team.
Piskula, 28, will report to AHL Milwaukee.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)