Feb 28, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
The Calgary Flames added some toughness today, acquiring forward Brian McGrattan from Nashville for minor-league defenseman Joe Piskula.
McGrattan, who was placed on waivers earlier in the week, has only played twice for the Predators this season. In 2011-12, the 31-year-old enforcer made 30 appearances for the Preds, registering no goals, two assists and 61 PIM.
This won’t be McGrattan’s first stretch with the Flames. He played 34 games for Calgary in 2009-10.
The move to acquire a player of McGrattan’s ilk shouldn’t come as a surprise after Calgary goalie Joey MacDonald was run over last week by the King’s Trevor Lewis, drawing little response from the Flames.
“They ran our goalie,” said Calgary coach Bob Hartley. “There was no consequences to this, and that’s just not acceptable.”
McGrattan has technically been assigned to AHL Abbotsford. Calgary first needs to open a roster spot for him to join the team.
Piskula, 28, will report to AHL Milwaukee.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)