Feb 28, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames added some toughness today, acquiring forward Brian McGrattan from Nashville for minor-league defenseman Joe Piskula.
McGrattan, who was placed on waivers earlier in the week, has only played twice for the Predators this season. In 2011-12, the 31-year-old enforcer made 30 appearances for the Preds, registering no goals, two assists and 61 PIM.
This won’t be McGrattan’s first stretch with the Flames. He played 34 games for Calgary in 2009-10.
The move to acquire a player of McGrattan’s ilk shouldn’t come as a surprise after Calgary goalie Joey MacDonald was run over last week by the King’s Trevor Lewis, drawing little response from the Flames.
“They ran our goalie,” said Calgary coach Bob Hartley. “There was no consequences to this, and that’s just not acceptable.”
McGrattan has technically been assigned to AHL Abbotsford. Calgary first needs to open a roster spot for him to join the team.
Piskula, 28, will report to AHL Milwaukee.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (100)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)