Feb 28, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
Playing a hunch?
That was the question coming out of Boston this morning when the Senators announced they’d be giving goalie Robin Lehner his first start of the year.
This start comes, of course, exactly a year to the day of Lehner’s first and only NHL shutout — at 32-save effort against the Bruins, in Boston, on Feb. 28, 2012.
Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the team has the utmost confidence in the 21-year-old netminder based on how well he’s played for AHL Binghamton this season.
“Robin’s had a very successful season in the American Hockey League and he’s played very well in the National Hockey League last season when he played,” MacLean told NHL.com. “He played here and he played well. And those are a lot of the factors that go into it.
“The fact that he’s played very well this year in the American League gives us a lot of confidence.”
Lenher’s start will allow the Sens to rest Ben Bishop, who’s been busy over the last while. He’s been Ottawa’s goalie of record in four of the last five games, allowing just six goals while recording a perfect 4-0-0 record.
On Monday, Bishop was named the NHL’s third star of the week.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)