Feb 28, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Playing a hunch?
That was the question coming out of Boston this morning when the Senators announced they’d be giving goalie Robin Lehner his first start of the year.
This start comes, of course, exactly a year to the day of Lehner’s first and only NHL shutout — at 32-save effort against the Bruins, in Boston, on Feb. 28, 2012.
Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the team has the utmost confidence in the 21-year-old netminder based on how well he’s played for AHL Binghamton this season.
“Robin’s had a very successful season in the American Hockey League and he’s played very well in the National Hockey League last season when he played,” MacLean told NHL.com. “He played here and he played well. And those are a lot of the factors that go into it.
“The fact that he’s played very well this year in the American League gives us a lot of confidence.”
Lenher’s start will allow the Sens to rest Ben Bishop, who’s been busy over the last while. He’s been Ottawa’s goalie of record in four of the last five games, allowing just six goals while recording a perfect 4-0-0 record.
On Monday, Bishop was named the NHL’s third star of the week.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)