Feb 28, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
Playing a hunch?
That was the question coming out of Boston this morning when the Senators announced they’d be giving goalie Robin Lehner his first start of the year.
This start comes, of course, exactly a year to the day of Lehner’s first and only NHL shutout — at 32-save effort against the Bruins, in Boston, on Feb. 28, 2012.
Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean said the team has the utmost confidence in the 21-year-old netminder based on how well he’s played for AHL Binghamton this season.
“Robin’s had a very successful season in the American Hockey League and he’s played very well in the National Hockey League last season when he played,” MacLean told NHL.com. “He played here and he played well. And those are a lot of the factors that go into it.
“The fact that he’s played very well this year in the American League gives us a lot of confidence.”
Lenher’s start will allow the Sens to rest Ben Bishop, who’s been busy over the last while. He’s been Ottawa’s goalie of record in four of the last five games, allowing just six goals while recording a perfect 4-0-0 record.
On Monday, Bishop was named the NHL’s third star of the week.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Dallas has lost two straight.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
As most expected they’d do with the No. 2 overall pick.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
With AK Bars Kazan.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
They’re building a $350 million arena with AEG, which owns the Kings.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The Canucks forward has been fined twice but never suspended.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Just replace Chris Pronger with his name from your previous jokes …
Oct 31, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Phaneuf as Spider-Man is … odd.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 AM EDT
Rookie Jonathan Drouin played less than 10 minutes in the win.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Not quite a fight.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Michel Therrien: “That was a dirty hit to the head”
Oct 31, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
Canucks conclude October with a 7-3 record.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Picked up his 1,000th point.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Scores twice in 5-0 win.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Adds defensive depth.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Allegedly endorsed a New York Islanders pay check to cover gambling debt
Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
End an 0-18 skid.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The play was reviewed and was ruled a good goal.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
Collided with Alex Steen of the Blues.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Gets a lucky bounce off Zach Parise.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Absent from tonight’s game against the Blackhawks.
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 1
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 8
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)