Feb 28, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have placed goalie Michael Leighton and forward Tom Sestito on waivers, according to Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News.
Leighton, 31, had only appeared in one game for the Flyers this season — a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay on Jan. 27 in which he stopped 21 of 26 shots.
Sestito, 25, has played in seven games this season, which included a huge effort in a Feb. 5 win over the Lightning. The rugged forward scored both goals in a 2-1 victory — the first two-goal game of his career.
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio says the hope for Philly is for both to clear and join the Phantoms.
But that might not be so easy.
According to various sources, the Edmonton Oilers have an expressed an interest in Sestito. The Oilers are seeking toughness up front and were believed to be interested in Vancouver winger Aaron Volpatti before he was claimed off waivers by Washington.
source in EDM says Oilers are interested in picking off Tommy Sestito to add some toughness to the lineup. He was hurt w/Phantoms (cont)
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) February 28, 2013
When @dougmaclean was GM in Columbus, he drafted Sestito.”He can play. I’d sign him if I were Edmonton.”
— Mark Spector Sports (@SportsnetSpec) February 28, 2013
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)