Feb 28, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have placed goalie Michael Leighton and forward Tom Sestito on waivers, according to Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News.
Leighton, 31, had only appeared in one game for the Flyers this season — a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay on Jan. 27 in which he stopped 21 of 26 shots.
Sestito, 25, has played in seven games this season, which included a huge effort in a Feb. 5 win over the Lightning. The rugged forward scored both goals in a 2-1 victory — the first two-goal game of his career.
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio says the hope for Philly is for both to clear and join the Phantoms.
But that might not be so easy.
According to various sources, the Edmonton Oilers have an expressed an interest in Sestito. The Oilers are seeking toughness up front and were believed to be interested in Vancouver winger Aaron Volpatti before he was claimed off waivers by Washington.
source in EDM says Oilers are interested in picking off Tommy Sestito to add some toughness to the lineup. He was hurt w/Phantoms (cont)
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) February 28, 2013
When @dougmaclean was GM in Columbus, he drafted Sestito.”He can play. I’d sign him if I were Edmonton.”
— Mark Spector Sports (@SportsnetSpec) February 28, 2013
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)