Feb 28, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have placed goalie Michael Leighton and forward Tom Sestito on waivers, according to Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News.
Leighton, 31, had only appeared in one game for the Flyers this season — a 5-1 loss to Tampa Bay on Jan. 27 in which he stopped 21 of 26 shots.
Sestito, 25, has played in seven games this season, which included a huge effort in a Feb. 5 win over the Lightning. The rugged forward scored both goals in a 2-1 victory — the first two-goal game of his career.
CSN Philadelphia’s Tim Panaccio says the hope for Philly is for both to clear and join the Phantoms.
But that might not be so easy.
According to various sources, the Edmonton Oilers have an expressed an interest in Sestito. The Oilers are seeking toughness up front and were believed to be interested in Vancouver winger Aaron Volpatti before he was claimed off waivers by Washington.
source in EDM says Oilers are interested in picking off Tommy Sestito to add some toughness to the lineup. He was hurt w/Phantoms (cont)
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) February 28, 2013
When @dougmaclean was GM in Columbus, he drafted Sestito.”He can play. I’d sign him if I were Edmonton.”
— Mark Spector Sports (@SportsnetSpec) February 28, 2013
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 6
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10