Feb 28, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Zolnierczyk relayed the news to Randy Miller of the South Jersey Courier-Post.
The hit was exacerbated by the fact Zolnierczyk nailed Perreault in the waning moments of a game that was entirely out of reach — the Caps were down three with just 25 seconds left in the contest:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following the contest, Washington head coach Adam Oates absolved Zolnierczyk of blame on the hit, saying Perreault put himself in danger by dangling the puck through the neutral zone.
Update: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports the NHL has also rescinded Zolnierczyk’s kneeing major.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)