Feb 28, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Zolnierczyk relayed the news to Randy Miller of the South Jersey Courier-Post.
The hit was exacerbated by the fact Zolnierczyk nailed Perreault in the waning moments of a game that was entirely out of reach — the Caps were down three with just 25 seconds left in the contest:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following the contest, Washington head coach Adam Oates absolved Zolnierczyk of blame on the hit, saying Perreault put himself in danger by dangling the puck through the neutral zone.
Update: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports the NHL has also rescinded Zolnierczyk’s kneeing major.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)