Feb 28, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Zolnierczyk relayed the news to Randy Miller of the South Jersey Courier-Post.
The hit was exacerbated by the fact Zolnierczyk nailed Perreault in the waning moments of a game that was entirely out of reach — the Caps were down three with just 25 seconds left in the contest:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Following the contest, Washington head coach Adam Oates absolved Zolnierczyk of blame on the hit, saying Perreault put himself in danger by dangling the puck through the neutral zone.
Update: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports the NHL has also rescinded Zolnierczyk’s kneeing major.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 5
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)