Malhotra disagrees with Canucks GM ending his season

Feb 28, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT

Manny Malhotra 2

Manny Malhotra, 32, had played in nine games in 2013 before Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis decided to end his season because of the serious eye injury he suffered in March 2011.

On top of his efforts this season, Malhotra also played in 78 games in 2011-12, five 2012 playoff contests, and was even a part of six Stanley Cup contests against Boston in 2011. However, Gillis ultimately decided to put Malhotra on the injured reserve list on Feb. 14 for the sake of his “long term health.”

Malhotra understands that, but it sounds like if it was his call, he’d still be playing.

“It’s Mike’s views and Mike’s decision…he didn’t feel that I was safe out on the ice,” Malhotra said in a Vancouver Province report. “I don’t agree with that. Again, it’s a tough call to make.

“I’m the only one who can say how I feel out there and how vulnerable I might be to a big hit. I feel confident. I felt good. I felt like I was seeing the play develop.”

At the same time, he doesn’t question Gillis’ sincerity and won’t request a trade.

“He wants to see me have a successful life post hockey,” Malhotra said.

His contract with the Canucks expires this summer, but he needs to consult with his family before he decides if he’ll attempt to extend his playing career as a free agent.

Latest Posts
  1. Hard-luck Hillen ‘100 percent’ after staph infection

Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

hillenhelpedoffgetty Getty Images

Caps blueliner has had bad luck in the health department.

2. Forsberg named rookie tourney MVP, Ekblad all-tournament

Sep 16, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT

Filip Forsberg Getty Images

Florida’s youngsters stole the show overall.

3. Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury

Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT

Josh Harding Josh Harding

And he’ll reportedly miss part of Minnesota’s training camp.

4. Sens bringing ex-Devils Mills, Palmieri to camp

Sep 16, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Boston Bruins New Jersey Devils v Boston Bruins

The former appeared in three games for Chicago last year; the latter played in Germany.

5. Ducks score another nice deal, ink Smith-Pelly for two years, $1.6M

Sep 16, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT

Phoenix Coyotes v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

Just one month after re-signing Jakob Silfverberg on the cheap.

6. Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving

Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

Bill Daly

“Fines are meaningful. And I think it has to do with essentially being called out.”

7. Veteran d-man Clark joins Avs’ staff

Sep 16, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

Clark_Brett

He’ll be part of the player development department.

8. Richards: I gave Lombardi ‘my word’ I’d work harder in the offseason

Sep 16, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

Kings forward “didn’t want to become a free agent and leave” L.A.

9. Blues bringing BizNasty to camp

Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT

Coyotes Blues Hockey AP

That’s him getting tossed around by Ryan Reaves.

10. Daly, Holmgren honored with Lester Patrick Trophy

Sep 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT

billdalygetty Getty Images

For “outstanding service to hockey in the United States.”

11. After trip to neurologist, Clowe on track for training camp

Sep 16, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - JANUARY 24: Ryane Clowe #29 of the New Jersey Devils takes the puck in the second period against the Washington Capitals at Prudential Center on January 24, 2014 in Newark, New Jersey. Getty Images

Veteran power forward is trying to return from another concussion.

12. Hitchcock’s advice to Mueller on making Blues: just play

Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Mathias Seger, Peter Mueller AP

The recently signed forward hopes to stick with “powerhouse” team.

13. PHT Morning Skate: When ugly can be a good thing

Sep 16, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

victorgreen

Tuesday’s collection of links.

14. B’s Lucic admits his wrist isn’t fully healed

Sep 16, 2014, 12:45 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Detroit Red Wings - Game Three Getty Images

“It’s turned the corner for the better as far as rehab has gone.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches