Malhotra disagrees with Canucks GM ending his season

Feb 28, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT

Manny Malhotra 2

Manny Malhotra, 32, had played in nine games in 2013 before Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis decided to end his season because of the serious eye injury he suffered in March 2011.

On top of his efforts this season, Malhotra also played in 78 games in 2011-12, five 2012 playoff contests, and was even a part of six Stanley Cup contests against Boston in 2011. However, Gillis ultimately decided to put Malhotra on the injured reserve list on Feb. 14 for the sake of his “long term health.”

Malhotra understands that, but it sounds like if it was his call, he’d still be playing.

“It’s Mike’s views and Mike’s decision…he didn’t feel that I was safe out on the ice,” Malhotra said in a Vancouver Province report. “I don’t agree with that. Again, it’s a tough call to make.

“I’m the only one who can say how I feel out there and how vulnerable I might be to a big hit. I feel confident. I felt good. I felt like I was seeing the play develop.”

At the same time, he doesn’t question Gillis’ sincerity and won’t request a trade.

“He wants to see me have a successful life post hockey,” Malhotra said.

His contract with the Canucks expires this summer, but he needs to consult with his family before he decides if he’ll attempt to extend his playing career as a free agent.

Latest Posts
  1. Cooke: ‘I have fire in my belly, I still feel I can play’

Aug 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Matt Cooke Matt Cooke

The 36-year-old is still looking for a contract after being bought out by the Wild.

2. Poll: Will Minnesota’s power play improve this season?

Aug 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT

The Wild ranked 27th overall last season with the man advantage.

3. Wild’s biggest question: Who will step up at center?

Aug 30, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Mikael Granlund Mikael Granlund

Granlund scored just eight goals last season while playing between Pominville and Parise.

4. Looking to make the leap: Mike Reilly

Aug 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional 2015 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship - Northeast Regional

He’s hoping to crack the Wild’s opening night roster after three seasons at the University of Minnesota.

5. Under Pressure: Devan Dubnyk

Aug 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

Devan Dubnyk Devan Dubnyk

He’ll have to prove last season was not a fluke.

6. Report: Ballard, Leopold leaning towards retirement

Aug 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Keith Ballard Keith Ballard

Both blue liners are unrestricted free agents.

7. Wild ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 30, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Zach Parise Getty Images

Can they take a step forward this season?

8. Glencross regrets taking hometown discount

Aug 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Curtis Glencross Getty Images

He’s currently an unrestricted free agent.

9. Under Pressure: Brandon Saad

Aug 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Getty Images

Columbus bet heavily on him this summer.

10. Poll: Will Columbus win its first playoff series?

Aug 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT

Ryan Johansen Getty Images

Just making the postseason would be seen as a good season, but perhaps the Blue Jackets are in position to do more.

11. Looking to make the leap: Sonny Milano

Aug 29, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

Sonny Milano Getty Images

This will be his first full season as a pro.

12. Tributes pour in for Al Arbour

Aug 29, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Islanders Getty Images

“We did lose a great man.”

13. Blue Jackets ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Scott Hartnell Getty Images

The Blue Jackets have to hope for better health this season.

14. It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day at PHT

Aug 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Ryan Johansen AP

Looking to bounce back after an injury-ravaged campaign.

15. Calder runner-up Stone says injured wrist is ‘100 percent’

Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT

150829_MarkStone Getty Images

You know, the one injured on “that” slash from P.K. Subban.

16. Pens sign prospect Sprong to entry-level deal

Aug 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

2015 NHL Draft - Portraits 2015 NHL Draft - Portraits

The club’s top pick at this year’s draft.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches