Feb 28, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Manny Malhotra, 32, had played in nine games in 2013 before Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis decided to end his season because of the serious eye injury he suffered in March 2011.
On top of his efforts this season, Malhotra also played in 78 games in 2011-12, five 2012 playoff contests, and was even a part of six Stanley Cup contests against Boston in 2011. However, Gillis ultimately decided to put Malhotra on the injured reserve list on Feb. 14 for the sake of his “long term health.”
Malhotra understands that, but it sounds like if it was his call, he’d still be playing.
“It’s Mike’s views and Mike’s decision…he didn’t feel that I was safe out on the ice,” Malhotra said in a Vancouver Province report. “I don’t agree with that. Again, it’s a tough call to make.
“I’m the only one who can say how I feel out there and how vulnerable I might be to a big hit. I feel confident. I felt good. I felt like I was seeing the play develop.”
At the same time, he doesn’t question Gillis’ sincerity and won’t request a trade.
“He wants to see me have a successful life post hockey,” Malhotra said.
His contract with the Canucks expires this summer, but he needs to consult with his family before he decides if he’ll attempt to extend his playing career as a free agent.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 PM EST
Sounds like it could be.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
And the players and coach seem to agree with the chart.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He’s been up, he’s been down.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
The first punishment handed down from Saturday’s ugly Pittsburgh-Boston affair.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:47 PM EST
‘Canes play tonight in Vancouver and tomorrow in Edmonton.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Bit of a dream season for the 27-year-old hometown boy.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:29 PM EST
Free agent signing has been a disappointment this season.
Dec 9, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
“I guess I got him in the back of the leg.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)