Feb 28, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Manny Malhotra, 32, had played in nine games in 2013 before Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis decided to end his season because of the serious eye injury he suffered in March 2011.
On top of his efforts this season, Malhotra also played in 78 games in 2011-12, five 2012 playoff contests, and was even a part of six Stanley Cup contests against Boston in 2011. However, Gillis ultimately decided to put Malhotra on the injured reserve list on Feb. 14 for the sake of his “long term health.”
Malhotra understands that, but it sounds like if it was his call, he’d still be playing.
“It’s Mike’s views and Mike’s decision…he didn’t feel that I was safe out on the ice,” Malhotra said in a Vancouver Province report. “I don’t agree with that. Again, it’s a tough call to make.
“I’m the only one who can say how I feel out there and how vulnerable I might be to a big hit. I feel confident. I felt good. I felt like I was seeing the play develop.”
At the same time, he doesn’t question Gillis’ sincerity and won’t request a trade.
“He wants to see me have a successful life post hockey,” Malhotra said.
His contract with the Canucks expires this summer, but he needs to consult with his family before he decides if he’ll attempt to extend his playing career as a free agent.
May 4, 2015, 1:04 AM EDT
The last team to open the playoffs with at least six straight wins was Pittsburgh in 2008.
May 4, 2015, 12:18 AM EDT
He’ll be looking for the Wild to do better mentally at home.
May 3, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
There are three contests scheduled for Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:36 PM EDT
He seemed initially dazed, but stayed in the game.
May 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago now has a 2-0 series lead.
May 3, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk had some bad luck on this one.
May 3, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
“He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight.”
May 3, 2015, 9:14 PM EDT
Prust and Bishop have a history.
May 3, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
The series will now return to Tampa Bay where the Lightning were 32-8-1 in the regular season.
May 3, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
This might lead to Jonathan Drouin playing in Game 3.
May 3, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
How far can the Lightning go if he gets hot?
May 3, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula snuck one by Carey Price.
May 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
At one point 14 squads were believed to be interested in his services.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first time he’s out of the lineup since the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
May 3, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Exactly when that will be remains to be seen.
May 3, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s rarely easy for young stars.
May 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s working nicely with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
May 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Both were at least some risk of missing Game 2.
May 3, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Still zero goals and just three assists for the star sniper.
May 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Blackhawks fans probably remember him.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 18
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)