Malhotra disagrees with Canucks GM ending his season

Feb 28, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT

Manny Malhotra 2

Manny Malhotra, 32, had played in nine games in 2013 before Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis decided to end his season because of the serious eye injury he suffered in March 2011.

On top of his efforts this season, Malhotra also played in 78 games in 2011-12, five 2012 playoff contests, and was even a part of six Stanley Cup contests against Boston in 2011. However, Gillis ultimately decided to put Malhotra on the injured reserve list on Feb. 14 for the sake of his “long term health.”

Malhotra understands that, but it sounds like if it was his call, he’d still be playing.

“It’s Mike’s views and Mike’s decision…he didn’t feel that I was safe out on the ice,” Malhotra said in a Vancouver Province report. “I don’t agree with that. Again, it’s a tough call to make.

“I’m the only one who can say how I feel out there and how vulnerable I might be to a big hit. I feel confident. I felt good. I felt like I was seeing the play develop.”

At the same time, he doesn’t question Gillis’ sincerity and won’t request a trade.

“He wants to see me have a successful life post hockey,” Malhotra said.

His contract with the Canucks expires this summer, but he needs to consult with his family before he decides if he’ll attempt to extend his playing career as a free agent.

1. valoisvipers - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Heres hoping that all you people who posted that I was a fool for stating that VCR did this for their benefit and not his, will now eat an appropriate amount of crow.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Yeah because if there’s one person you can expect to be objective about this, it’s the guy whose career is essentially over.

I’d expect that if Manny strongly disagreed with the Canucks he would ask them to waive or trade him so he could continue his career, or his agent would have spoken up, or he’d file a grievance with the PA, or he’d dispute the medical reports that have been used to put him on the IR.

But as we’ve seen before he’s a proud guy and I’m sure that admitting that you can’t effectively be aware of what’s going on around you is an extremely tough thing to do when it means the end of your playing days.

Frankly I don’t see how sitting Malhotra benefits the Canucks in the slightest. He’s still a better player than Aaron Volpatti or Andrew Ebbett which means he’s good enough to be in the lineup on at least a semi-regular basis. He’s not earning his cap hit but that means nothing until the team can actually complete a trade to use that cap space (and now, as with virtually every Canucks season, an important player is out of the lineup creating a ton of LTIR space anyway).

• jpelle82 - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM

its hard to win faceoffs if you cant see the linesman drop the puck. if he is having even the slightest issue with his depth perception he quickly becomes irrelevant – he is just a nice guy who can skate with a stick in his hand.

• salmon90 - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:22 PM

How would losing one of the best faceoff guys in the league be of benefit to them? Not to mention the character/leadership this guy brings.

2. gramkind - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I don’t thinknyou can argue he wasn’t playing up to his cap hit and there isn’t some benefit to the team. However if they really didn’t care at all they could of traded him somewhere. Pretty sure a few teams would trade for a face off dynamo.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM

There would be a benefit to the team if they had some use for Manny’s cap space. Right now they don’t, and now that they are missing Kesler as well it’s unlikely that they’ll ever use Manny’s cap space (since they’d have to bring in about $6m of salary to even start to need it).

3. leepetertk - Feb 28, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I would like to see somebody compile a few examples of where Malhotra was in danger due to limited vision. I didn`t notice examples watching the Canucks, but I did see a player who was clearly not as effective as he was prior to his eye injury. Elliott Friedman reported there was at least one example in Van vs. Min where Dany Heatley pulled up on Malhotra and thus if it was Cal Clutterbuck, Malhotra might have been injured. I have not seen this footage, but it has been mentioned.

I do believe Gillis when he says he did it for what he thinks is Malhotra`s long term health. Vancouver could use Malhotra`s faceoff abilities right now with Kesler also injured long term.

4. steverolley - Feb 28, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I don`t believe Gillis for a second

He said he had a Luongo deal lined up….. lie
    He said Cody Hodgeson was a problem in the dressing room …… lie
    He keeps saying Veignault is one of the best coaches in the league …… lie

Top 10 NHL Player Searches