Feb 28, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
“We are aware of Rick’s comments today and the severity of them. We will handle them internally as we do with all player matters.
“This is an opportunity for Rick to play lots of games in Bridgeport.”
Earlier today, News 12 Long Island anchor Kevin Maher released a series of tweets relating to an interview he conducted with DiPietro, in which the Isles goalie said “it felt like “they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet,” when he was put on waivers.
More disturbingly, DiPietro also reportedly said his much publicized, and oft ridiculed, struggles with injuries — along with losing, and all the hatred from fans — made him consider taking his own life.
Later, DiPietro told the New York Post’s Brett Cyrgalis he was being “100 percent” facetious about committing suicide.
It should be noted he’s made light of his situation in this way before.
Last April, he told the New York Times: “There were times I was driving over the Throgs Neck Bridge and I thought I’d veer right and end it. It’s tough times. This is a tough business.
“Physically, it’s hard, but mentally, it’s incredible. I always say you’ve got to laugh to keep from crying, because there are those days when you sit in the stands, and your teammates are like a family.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 42
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)