Feb 28, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
“We are aware of Rick’s comments today and the severity of them. We will handle them internally as we do with all player matters.
“This is an opportunity for Rick to play lots of games in Bridgeport.”
Earlier today, News 12 Long Island anchor Kevin Maher released a series of tweets relating to an interview he conducted with DiPietro, in which the Isles goalie said “it felt like “they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet,” when he was put on waivers.
More disturbingly, DiPietro also reportedly said his much publicized, and oft ridiculed, struggles with injuries — along with losing, and all the hatred from fans — made him consider taking his own life.
Later, DiPietro told the New York Post’s Brett Cyrgalis he was being “100 percent” facetious about committing suicide.
It should be noted he’s made light of his situation in this way before.
Last April, he told the New York Times: “There were times I was driving over the Throgs Neck Bridge and I thought I’d veer right and end it. It’s tough times. This is a tough business.
“Physically, it’s hard, but mentally, it’s incredible. I always say you’ve got to laugh to keep from crying, because there are those days when you sit in the stands, and your teammates are like a family.”
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8