Isles release statement acknowledging ‘severity’ of DiPietro comments

Feb 28, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT

Rick DiPietro AP

New York Islanders GM Garth Snow has released a statement on the team website in the wake of Rick DiPietro‘s (apparently facetious) comments about contemplating suicide.

Snow’s statement:

“We are aware of Rick’s comments today and the severity of them. We will handle them internally as we do with all player matters.

“This is an opportunity for Rick to play lots of games in Bridgeport.”

Earlier today, News 12 Long Island anchor Kevin Maher released a series of tweets relating to an interview he conducted with DiPietro, in which the Isles goalie said “it felt like “they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet,” when he was put on waivers.

More disturbingly, DiPietro also reportedly said his much publicized, and oft ridiculed, struggles with injuries — along with losing, and all the hatred from fans — made him consider taking his own life.

Later, DiPietro told the New York Post’s Brett Cyrgalis he was being “100 percent” facetious about committing suicide.

It should be noted he’s made light of his situation in this way before.

Last April, he told the New York Times: “There were times I was driving over the Throgs Neck Bridge and I thought I’d veer right and end it. It’s tough times. This is a tough business.

“Physically, it’s hard, but mentally, it’s incredible. I always say you’ve got to laugh to keep from crying, because there are those days when you sit in the stands, and your teammates are like a family.”

1. 950003cups - Feb 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM

If he wants to trade places with me, I’ll take the fan hatred, the injuries, and all the bad media. You can add locking me up in jail 2x a week as well, along with his paychecks. He, in return, can have my blog name here, my unknown existence, my mediocre athleticism, and my paychecks.

Would he trade? I doubt it!!! So if he fells bad, how do you think we all feel? He wouldn’t trade spots with anyone on this blog at all.

Get over it Rick!!! Stop being a pansy! Stop looking for attention! Get in goal and start winning games, or opt out of your contract, and get a job like the rest of us!

If he contemplated suicide with those issues, how bad, really are our lives???

• 950003cups - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

If he thinks he has problems, maye he might wanna give a call to Ol’ A-Rod… THAT is a guy who has issues. Outside of LI, nobody cares about DP. ARod… The whole world knows who he is and (many) despise him.

• buddysguys - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM

fully agree….money may not buy happiness but it sure as hell can help bring it back.

this guy is a scum to joke about this at all.

• bcisleman - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Scum may be a little harsh but it sure was poor judgment.

• winstonnilesroomford - Feb 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Wow, is there a lot of petty people on here who ONLY think in terms of money. If he was joking then it was a real stupid joke, but some jokes are peoples way saying things that would otherwise be too hard to say out loud. If his comments we’re indicative of a deeper problem then he deserves compassion and support from any decent human being. Suicide and depression are not something people can control and are VERY common and VERY real. Everyone is different, nobody has any clue what’s going on in his head or why he feels this way and therefore, nobody is in any position to judge. You want to switch places? Who would take money over happiness? That is what you are saying. Isn’t the only purpose of money to use it to create happiness. What good is it otherwise. I pity you , and not for your lack of cash but for your lack of understanding of the REAL world. A world where cash is the means not the end.

2. 950003cups - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Nobody forced him to stay in the deal. He could have, at any time, just retired and maybe a new tryout on another team later on.

It’s all a pity party. Ask any cop in a big city how their day was. Or ask any soldier overseas how their day went. They’re hated by a lot of people where they walk. Yet, they wake up and do their high risk jobs every day and dont complain.

Rick, I’m sorry to break the news to you, but the NHL is not for you. Go deliver pizzas or something less stressful.

3. rpiotr01 - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:18 PM

It’s sad that he feels this way but predictable. It’s not his fault that the Islanders made a terrible business decision with that contract, and it’s not his fault that his body has betrayed him and proved that he’s not capable of being a professional athlete. There’s no shame in not being physically built for something.

If it’s guilt he feels then work something out with the Islanders to reduce the contract or end it. If he’s happy to keep collecting paychecks for being an NHL goalie as his body screams that it can’t handle the rigors of being an NHL goalie, well, you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

I feel sorry for him because his identity is clearly wrapped up in something he can’t be. I hope he comes to terms with that soon and moves on.

4. jernster21 - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Interestingly, people say things that they later declare as jokes but then when they actually off themselves everyone is like “why didn’t we do anything, look at all the signs!”

• s - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Suicide is a personal thing. You don’t go shout about it on TV. If you mean it, you act on it, and you’re done. Your choice. I mean, following his logic any kid not getting drafted, any prospect not making it to the show, any older player getting waived should feel sorry for themselves. But they don’t.

He simply has no basis for this pathetic display. It’s not just the injuries: he’s playing like crap. And for all posters claiming ‘it’s not his fault he signed such a big contract’, well, it is. If I ask my employer for $ 100K / yr and can’t deliver the goods, my ass is on the line. It’s part of the job.

What a pathetic pansy.

5. letsgopens8771 - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM

So we have 2 goalies on the Island who are overrated and have emotional problems and do not see the solution is to just shut up and play. As for DP, I have lost all respect for him. If he is seriously thinking of killing himself, then that is horrible, but to joke about it just because you got waived and sent to the minors, that is completely disgusting and classless.

I hope maybe sometime he will be able to move on from this, but I think he just needs a trade or release. Playing in New York has SOO Much pressure that comes along with it…Rangers fans and Islanders fans are always incredibly disappointed when their teams lose and they make it known. I think he just needs salvation from the poor, wretched, never-gonna-make-the-playoffs-ever-again Islanders.

6. President Charles Logan - Feb 28, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Id wanna drive off the throgs neck bridge too if i was forced to wear those hideous 3rd jerseys the isles have

7. bricktop02 - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Boo fu€king Hoo Rick.

8. bbk1000 - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:12 PM

And Lundqvist went in round seven of the same draft……

9. sergeikremlin - Feb 28, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Rick DiPietro may be “joking”, but Rick Rypien is dead. So are many others, whether professional athlete or not. Mental health is no laughing matter and the ignorance abroad is disgusting and disheartening.

10. michaeljay17 - Feb 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

and how many cups has Lundqvist won………..who cares!

• bbk1000 - Mar 1, 2013 at 7:14 AM

and how many has DiPietro won?….and every Islander fan cares so keep your short sighted opinion to yourself…

11. rekingcrew - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Iwould still love to have his problems, tho, turns out, he actually has none.

12. yousuxxors - Mar 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM

money may not buy happiness but its a lot better to cry in a benz than a 1982 buick cerara

13. sufferingphilsfan - Mar 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

does mick vukota still play for the islanders?

14. pwilson264 - Mar 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM

i truly wish DiPietro the best of luck, but suicide is a cop out, I’ve had a close friend commit suicide and left behind a wife and two young children. their the one’s who suffer.yea i know he had injuries and struggles with his game but don’t we all have are struggles. taking your life isn’t the answer, so i think he need’s to grow up get help and move on.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches