Feb 28, 2013, 2:12 PM EST
When the New York Islanders placed Rick DiPietro on waivers last week, it felt like “they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet.”
That’s apparently what the 31-year-old goalie told News 12 Long Island in an interview with anchor Kevin Maher.
More disturbingly, DiPietro also reportedly said his much publicized, and oft ridiculed, struggles with injuries — along with losing, and all the hatred from fans — made him contemplate suicide.
The full interview will run later today.
(Update: DiPietro tells the New York Post’s Brett Cyrgalis he was being “100 percent” facetious about contemplating suicide.
It should be noted he’s made light of his situation in this way before. Last April, he told the New York Times: “There were times I was driving over the Throgs Neck Bridge and I thought I’d veer right and end it. It’s tough times. This is a tough business. Physically, it’s hard, but mentally, it’s incredible. I always say you’ve got to laugh to keep from crying, because there are those days when you sit in the stands, and your teammates are like a family.”)
DP didn’t make fun of suicide, instead told @kmahernews12 how important his wife was to him, and w/o her, “I might have driven into a tree.”
— Brett Cyrgalis (@BrettCyrgalis) February 28, 2013
(Update: Click here to watch the interview.)
DiPietro — currently with AHL Bridgeport — has a contract that runs through 2020-21 with an annual salary (and cap hit) of $4.5 million, though it’s possible the Islanders could buy him out after the season.
I asked DiPietro if he thinks he’s still part of the Islanders future plans. He said, “I don’t know.” @news12li
— Kevin Maher (@KMaherNews12) February 28, 2013
Mar 1, 2015, 7:06 PM EST
He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EST
Both are free agents after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 PM EST
It started with a Matt Greene hit on Mark Scheifele.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
The Pens’ captain was unharmed on the play.
Mar 1, 2015, 5:56 PM EST
He’s 14 back of Marcel Dionne.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
All the blockbuster details have been updated.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Sunday’s expected starting goalies.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
Could Philly move him by Monday?
Mar 1, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
The Islanders winger was February’s best first-year player.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
A decent catch for a rising team.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EST
Winnipeg faces Los Angeles on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Mar 1, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
A quick rundown of waiver transactions on Sunday.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Anaheim readies for a road-heavy March.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:17 AM EST
Three of his season’s six goals came in the last three games.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:35 AM EST
The first-round pick was a little too rich, it seems.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:37 AM EST
They’ll play again on March 8.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:03 AM EST
San Jose completed its disastrous month with a loss to Ottawa.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:42 AM EST
In other words, he’s probably not going to be dealt before the trade deadline.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:52 PM EST
The Coyotes might not be done dealing yet.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 53
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)