Feb 28, 2013, 2:12 PM EDT
When the New York Islanders placed Rick DiPietro on waivers last week, it felt like “they ripped my heart out, stabbed it, set it on fire and flushed it down the toilet.”
That’s apparently what the 31-year-old goalie told News 12 Long Island in an interview with anchor Kevin Maher.
More disturbingly, DiPietro also reportedly said his much publicized, and oft ridiculed, struggles with injuries — along with losing, and all the hatred from fans — made him contemplate suicide.
The full interview will run later today.
(Update: DiPietro tells the New York Post’s Brett Cyrgalis he was being “100 percent” facetious about contemplating suicide.
It should be noted he’s made light of his situation in this way before. Last April, he told the New York Times: “There were times I was driving over the Throgs Neck Bridge and I thought I’d veer right and end it. It’s tough times. This is a tough business. Physically, it’s hard, but mentally, it’s incredible. I always say you’ve got to laugh to keep from crying, because there are those days when you sit in the stands, and your teammates are like a family.”)
DP didn’t make fun of suicide, instead told @kmahernews12 how important his wife was to him, and w/o her, “I might have driven into a tree.”
— Brett Cyrgalis (@BrettCyrgalis) February 28, 2013
(Update: Click here to watch the interview.)
DiPietro — currently with AHL Bridgeport — has a contract that runs through 2020-21 with an annual salary (and cap hit) of $4.5 million, though it’s possible the Islanders could buy him out after the season.
I asked DiPietro if he thinks he’s still part of the Islanders future plans. He said, “I don’t know.” @news12li
— Kevin Maher (@KMaherNews12) February 28, 2013
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)