Feb 28, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets and Detroit Red Wings will finally be making the move from the Western to Eastern Conference, if the most recently reported realignment plan is accepted.
However, nothing has been decided yet and their ambition to play in the Eastern Conference might run into a roadblock.
That imbalance would make it easier to for Western Conference teams to make the playoffs, and some would like to see it solved by moving either the Detroit Red Wings or Columbus Blue Jackets back to the Western Conference.
“Told it’s 50-50 at the moment as to whether or not PA approves realignment proposal,” Dreger said. “NHL will push hard to get it through as is.”
It’s not as simple as keeping Columbus in the West though. If the players and league attempt to do that, the Blue Jackets would “fight like hell” to prevent it, according to the Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
“From a Blue Jackets’ perspective, playing the majority of our games in the eastern time zone would be beneficial from a travel perspective … and (for) our television and radio broadcasts,” said Blue Jackets president Mike Priest in a Columbus Dispatch report.
Keeping the Blue Jackets in the West but letting Detroit move would cost Columbus the big attraction of regular games against the Red Wings without gaining more favorable travel times in the process.
If you need a refresher on what the current plan is, we have all the details here.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
They beat the Sharks 3-2 via a shootout.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
His Bruins beat Calgary 2-1 on Tuesday.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 PM EST
Ben Scrivens must feel a little less special.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EST
He said this is his worst stretch with the team.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 10:33 PM EST
Nashville ends a five-game skid.
Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
Dec 10, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin made the Lightning pay.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 PM EST
At least he made it longer than Braden Holtby.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:08 PM EST
Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens are holding down the fort.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
Mike Green also gets a game misconduct.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
GMs sing his praises, too.
Dec 10, 2013, 6:52 PM EST
It won’t happen in 2014-15, though.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
It’s a hot-button issue in the wake of Saturday’s Boston-Pittsburgh game.
Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Phoenix has just two wins in its last eight.
Dec 10, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Former first-round pick on his way to Norfolk.
Dec 10, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
We’re about to find out.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
A loaded Detroit roster gets… more loaded.
Dec 10, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
‘Hawks no like.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
For the second time this season.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)