Feb 28, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets and Detroit Red Wings will finally be making the move from the Western to Eastern Conference, if the most recently reported realignment plan is accepted.
However, nothing has been decided yet and their ambition to play in the Eastern Conference might run into a roadblock.
That imbalance would make it easier to for Western Conference teams to make the playoffs, and some would like to see it solved by moving either the Detroit Red Wings or Columbus Blue Jackets back to the Western Conference.
“Told it’s 50-50 at the moment as to whether or not PA approves realignment proposal,” Dreger said. “NHL will push hard to get it through as is.”
It’s not as simple as keeping Columbus in the West though. If the players and league attempt to do that, the Blue Jackets would “fight like hell” to prevent it, according to the Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
“From a Blue Jackets’ perspective, playing the majority of our games in the eastern time zone would be beneficial from a travel perspective … and (for) our television and radio broadcasts,” said Blue Jackets president Mike Priest in a Columbus Dispatch report.
Keeping the Blue Jackets in the West but letting Detroit move would cost Columbus the big attraction of regular games against the Red Wings without gaining more favorable travel times in the process.
If you need a refresher on what the current plan is, we have all the details here.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (67)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)