Feb 28, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
Count Ilya Kovalchuk among the NHLPA members not thrilled with the NHL’s latest realignment proposal.
“For us I don’t think it makes any sense to change it,” Kovalchuk told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “We have a great division with good travel for all the teams in our division. A lot of rivalry games.”
This past week has seen a lot of developments on new-look conferences and proposed playoff formats (see related posts below.)
Earlier this morning, TSN’s Darren Dreger said some players weren’t thrilled with the prospect of imbalanced conferences — the East would have 16 teams while the West would have 14 — and the idea of wildcard playoff spots.
Kovalchuk re-iterated that feeling.
“Overall, with 16 teams on our side and 14 teams over there, I don’t think that’s how it should be,” he said. “And then those wild cards and all that. I don’t think it makes too much sense.
“Hockey should stay hockey. It doesn’t have to be football.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)