Feb 28, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Given the ties between the Bruins and Senators organizations, it’s not surprising that rumors have been flying about the B’s having interest in Daniel Alfredsson.
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli used to be the assistant GM in Ottawa, and has since acquired ex-Sens Zdeno Chara and Chris Kelly. He also has roughly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to lure Alfredsson out of Ottawa.
Just one catch — the Sens captain can’t picture such a move.
“[Boston] is a good team, but as far as me coming here I can’t see it,” Alfredsson told CSNNE.com. “Especially with the way that we’re playing ourselves, we’re trying to fight with Boston and Montreal in our division in order to get on top. That’s where my focus is.”
That would make them prime candidates to sell at the deadline, especially with prized UFA assets like Alfredsson.
Yet the Senators refuse to lose.
They’re sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference with a 12-6-2 record, five points clear of eighth-place Philadelphia, and are riding a five-game win streak. Given the team only has 16 games left before the Apr. 3 deadline, it would take a near-catastrophic collapse for GM Bryan Murray to waive the white flag on this season and start moving pieces.
That said, the Bruins can still dare to dream.
“Oh yeah, definitely. He has a lot of playoff experience,” Milan Lucic said when asked if he’d be interested in having Alfredsson in the Black and Gold. “I haven’t really heard his name floating around the rumor mill, but if we could get him that would a huge addition to our hockey club and group of forwards.”
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 50
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 19
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 20
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 101
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead