Feb 28, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Given the ties between the Bruins and Senators organizations, it’s not surprising that rumors have been flying about the B’s having interest in Daniel Alfredsson.
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli used to be the assistant GM in Ottawa, and has since acquired ex-Sens Zdeno Chara and Chris Kelly. He also has roughly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to lure Alfredsson out of Ottawa.
Just one catch — the Sens captain can’t picture such a move.
“[Boston] is a good team, but as far as me coming here I can’t see it,” Alfredsson told CSNNE.com. “Especially with the way that we’re playing ourselves, we’re trying to fight with Boston and Montreal in our division in order to get on top. That’s where my focus is.”
That would make them prime candidates to sell at the deadline, especially with prized UFA assets like Alfredsson.
Yet the Senators refuse to lose.
They’re sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference with a 12-6-2 record, five points clear of eighth-place Philadelphia, and are riding a five-game win streak. Given the team only has 16 games left before the Apr. 3 deadline, it would take a near-catastrophic collapse for GM Bryan Murray to waive the white flag on this season and start moving pieces.
That said, the Bruins can still dare to dream.
“Oh yeah, definitely. He has a lot of playoff experience,” Milan Lucic said when asked if he’d be interested in having Alfredsson in the Black and Gold. “I haven’t really heard his name floating around the rumor mill, but if we could get him that would a huge addition to our hockey club and group of forwards.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)