Feb 28, 2013, 4:35 PM EST
Given the ties between the Bruins and Senators organizations, it’s not surprising that rumors have been flying about the B’s having interest in Daniel Alfredsson.
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli used to be the assistant GM in Ottawa, and has since acquired ex-Sens Zdeno Chara and Chris Kelly. He also has roughly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to lure Alfredsson out of Ottawa.
Just one catch — the Sens captain can’t picture such a move.
“[Boston] is a good team, but as far as me coming here I can’t see it,” Alfredsson told CSNNE.com. “Especially with the way that we’re playing ourselves, we’re trying to fight with Boston and Montreal in our division in order to get on top. That’s where my focus is.”
That would make them prime candidates to sell at the deadline, especially with prized UFA assets like Alfredsson.
Yet the Senators refuse to lose.
They’re sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference with a 12-6-2 record, five points clear of eighth-place Philadelphia, and are riding a five-game win streak. Given the team only has 16 games left before the Apr. 3 deadline, it would take a near-catastrophic collapse for GM Bryan Murray to waive the white flag on this season and start moving pieces.
That said, the Bruins can still dare to dream.
“Oh yeah, definitely. He has a lot of playoff experience,” Milan Lucic said when asked if he’d be interested in having Alfredsson in the Black and Gold. “I haven’t really heard his name floating around the rumor mill, but if we could get him that would a huge addition to our hockey club and group of forwards.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)