Feb 28, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Given the ties between the Bruins and Senators organizations, it’s not surprising that rumors have been flying about the B’s having interest in Daniel Alfredsson.
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli used to be the assistant GM in Ottawa, and has since acquired ex-Sens Zdeno Chara and Chris Kelly. He also has roughly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to lure Alfredsson out of Ottawa.
Just one catch — the Sens captain can’t picture such a move.
“[Boston] is a good team, but as far as me coming here I can’t see it,” Alfredsson told CSNNE.com. “Especially with the way that we’re playing ourselves, we’re trying to fight with Boston and Montreal in our division in order to get on top. That’s where my focus is.”
That would make them prime candidates to sell at the deadline, especially with prized UFA assets like Alfredsson.
Yet the Senators refuse to lose.
They’re sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference with a 12-6-2 record, five points clear of eighth-place Philadelphia, and are riding a five-game win streak. Given the team only has 16 games left before the Apr. 3 deadline, it would take a near-catastrophic collapse for GM Bryan Murray to waive the white flag on this season and start moving pieces.
That said, the Bruins can still dare to dream.
“Oh yeah, definitely. He has a lot of playoff experience,” Milan Lucic said when asked if he’d be interested in having Alfredsson in the Black and Gold. “I haven’t really heard his name floating around the rumor mill, but if we could get him that would a huge addition to our hockey club and group of forwards.”
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)