Feb 28, 2013, 4:35 PM EDT
Given the ties between the Bruins and Senators organizations, it’s not surprising that rumors have been flying about the B’s having interest in Daniel Alfredsson.
Boston GM Peter Chiarelli used to be the assistant GM in Ottawa, and has since acquired ex-Sens Zdeno Chara and Chris Kelly. He also has roughly $10 million in available cap space, more than enough to lure Alfredsson out of Ottawa.
Just one catch — the Sens captain can’t picture such a move.
“[Boston] is a good team, but as far as me coming here I can’t see it,” Alfredsson told CSNNE.com. “Especially with the way that we’re playing ourselves, we’re trying to fight with Boston and Montreal in our division in order to get on top. That’s where my focus is.”
That would make them prime candidates to sell at the deadline, especially with prized UFA assets like Alfredsson.
Yet the Senators refuse to lose.
They’re sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference with a 12-6-2 record, five points clear of eighth-place Philadelphia, and are riding a five-game win streak. Given the team only has 16 games left before the Apr. 3 deadline, it would take a near-catastrophic collapse for GM Bryan Murray to waive the white flag on this season and start moving pieces.
That said, the Bruins can still dare to dream.
“Oh yeah, definitely. He has a lot of playoff experience,” Milan Lucic said when asked if he’d be interested in having Alfredsson in the Black and Gold. “I haven’t really heard his name floating around the rumor mill, but if we could get him that would a huge addition to our hockey club and group of forwards.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)