Feb 28, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
We’re No. 29! We’re No. 29!
OK, so they might not be celebrating exactly like that in Phoenix, but 29th is better than 30th, which is where the Coyotes ranked last season in NHL attendance.
In 2013, after 10 games, Phoenix is averaging 13,142 fans through the gates of Jobing.com Arena, slightly more than the New York Islanders (13,109) and considerably more than the Coyotes averaged in 2011-12 (12,420).
Even better, people are actually paying for the tickets, Coyotes president Mike Nealy tells the Arizona Republic.
The Coyotes define their attendance as tickets sold and complimentary tickets, which are free tickets distributed by the team. In the past, complimentary tickets would range from 3,000 to 5,000 per game, Nealy said, but this season they’ve usually been only a couple hundred and definitely less than 1,000.
The season-ticket base is also the largest since 1999, Nealy said, and the renewal rate is 90 percent — the highest in franchise history.
“Our average ticket price paid is up,” Nealy said. “We didn’t raise prices, but people are either buying more expensive tickets or not doing as much discounting so it’s good both on the volume and the pricing.”
Local TV ratings are up as well, according to Fox Sports Arizona.
In a related story, the Coyotes are still owned by the NHL. (Though we hear through the grapevine that the league might be willing to sell.)
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (96)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games