Colorado responds after Flames offer sheet O’Reilly

Feb 28, 2013, 6:53 PM EST

The Colorado Avalanche have responded to Thursday’s big news that Calgary has signed restricted free agent center Ryan O’Reilly to an offer sheet.

It’s not much, but here it is, courtesy the Avs website:

“The Avalanche organization was notified of the offer sheet earlier this afternoon. Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, in the case of an offer sheet, NHL teams have seven days to either match the offer or accept compensation.

“The Avalanche will have further comments when a decision is made.”

One interesting thing to note — nowhere on the page do the words “Ryan” or “O’Reilly” actually appear.

Here’s a screen capture:

source:

Calgary’s offer is reportedly for two years with an average annual value of $5 million. O’Reilly, 22, would have a salary of $1 million for this season, plus a $2.5 million signing bonus. Next season, he would be paid $6.5 million.

O’Reilly has been unable to negotiate a new contract with the Colorado Avalanche after leading the club with 55 points in 2011-12. He had been plying his trade with KHL club Metallurg, but terminated his contract with the team in late January.

Related

Ryan O’Reilly’s dad thinks the Avs don’t value character

O’Reilly’s dad blasts Avs management via Twitter

‘It’s gotten ugly,’ says Avs player on O’Reilly contract disupte

1. tbbolts91 - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM

hopefully o’reilly gets back on the ice soon. my fantasy team is hurting with spezza and malkin out and steen injured. i could really use o’reilly…

2. whatthepuck2012 - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Not many writers can make “offer sheet” a verb, but here we are.

• Mike Halford - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I was pretty pleased with myself on that one. I’d offer sheet myself if I could.

• whatthepuck2012 - Mar 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Bravo, sir.

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Feb 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

My powers of deduction tell me they don’t think much of it. Or O’Reilly.

4. mclovinhockey - Feb 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Good read. I always liked the Avs, I would rather see them let this guy go and get the picks, could be a top 10 pick easy… Maybe they can draft a guy who plays for the team rather than for himself

5. atwatercrushesokoye - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Sportsnet just reported the Avalanche have matched the offer.

6. jovocop2112 - Feb 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM

So the team gives up have 2 high end picks in a very deep draft…..for a disgruntled player who will more than likely be a cancerous poison in the locker room… and fun fact; The Avalanches best center is is now their cheapest, while the 2nd and 3rd line guys will be making 6 million dollars a year, each.

I love the Avs, and I want to badly for this young team to go foward and become one of the next tops teams in the league, but WHAT WAS THE POINT of all of this if they were just going to sign him to his preferrable contract anyway?!?!?!?!

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches