Feb 28, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
Panthers forward Stephen Weiss will be back in the lineup tonight against the Sabres after missing Tuesday’s 6-4 victory over Pittsburgh following the death of his grandmother.
In truth, it’s been longer than one game since Weiss last played a regular shift — it’s been one game and one period, as the 29-year-old was benched by head coach Kevin Dineen for all but two short shifts in the third period of Sunday’s 4-1 loss to the Bruins.
“It’s never fun to be sat and the easy answer is to play better. That’s the bottom line,” Weiss said today, per the Miami Herald. “That stuff doesn’t bother me. It’s not the first time I’ve been benched and it’s probably not the last time I’ll be benched. It’s just a matter of how you deal with it. You put it behind you and just keep pushing forward, try to play better.”
Weiss — Florida’s fourth overall draft pick in 2001 — has just one goal and three assists in 14 games. His struggles are doubly noteworthy as he’s in the final year of a six-year, $18.6 million contract, with unrestricted free agency a possibility come July 1.
But whether the budget-conscious club is willing to shell out the money to re-sign Weiss, especially given his current form, remains to be seen.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)