Feb 28, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
Panthers forward Stephen Weiss will be back in the lineup tonight against the Sabres after missing Tuesday’s 6-4 victory over Pittsburgh following the death of his grandmother.
In truth, it’s been longer than one game since Weiss last played a regular shift — it’s been one game and one period, as the 29-year-old was benched by head coach Kevin Dineen for all but two short shifts in the third period of Sunday’s 4-1 loss to the Bruins.
“It’s never fun to be sat and the easy answer is to play better. That’s the bottom line,” Weiss said today, per the Miami Herald. “That stuff doesn’t bother me. It’s not the first time I’ve been benched and it’s probably not the last time I’ll be benched. It’s just a matter of how you deal with it. You put it behind you and just keep pushing forward, try to play better.”
Weiss — Florida’s fourth overall draft pick in 2001 — has just one goal and three assists in 14 games. His struggles are doubly noteworthy as he’s in the final year of a six-year, $18.6 million contract, with unrestricted free agency a possibility come July 1.
But whether the budget-conscious club is willing to shell out the money to re-sign Weiss, especially given his current form, remains to be seen.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)