Feb 27, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Pretty amusing scene in Florida last night during the Panthers’ 6-4 win over Pittsburgh — early in the second period, Florida forward Tomas Kopecky scored his second of three goals on the night, setting off this melee with Pens goalie Tomas Vokoun:
Both got roughing penalties on the play (Kopecky actually got a double-minor) and Vokoun was yanked about five minutes later.
It made for a wild sequence of events, one the pair can discuss over lemonade some time.
To explain, here’s George Richards of the Miami Herald:
Soon after Kopecky scored his second goal, Vokoun took offense to his skating partner — and west Broward neighbor — from the lockout days in Pompano Beach making contact in front of the net.
With Kopecky on the ice, Vokoun threw a few punches. The scrum moved to the corner where Vokoun again tossed some jabs. Florida, up 2-1 at the time, had to go on the penalty kill as Kopecky was given two minor penalties to Vokoun’s one.
“Brooks Orpik crashed into me from behind, and I lost my balance. I bumped into him,” Kopecky said. “Then all I see is his big blocker [glove] coming at me. Obviously, I’ll take punches and pay the price, but not cheap shots. I kept pushing him.
“He’s my neighbor, I’ve gotten to know he his family pretty good. But he didn’t hold back. I’m not going to either.”
There appears to be no truth to the rumor that, following the game, Kopecky took his dog for a walk in Vokoun’s yard.
Update: Richards reports the two exchanged text messages last night, and all is well.
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 25
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 26
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)