Feb 27, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Washington Capitals will head to the Wells Fargo Center for a match against the Philadelphia Flyers at 7:30 p.m. ET.
After a devastating 4-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs on Monday, Flyers GM Paul Holmgren made his first effort of the season to try and right the ship by acquiring a familiar face in Simon Gagne from the Los Angeles Kings.
“It’s going to be a special game,” Gagne said of tonight’s contest in a Philadelphia Inquirer report, “but I’ll try to take all that emotion and try to bring that energy to the game.”
For Gagne, this will be the start of a quest for redemption. Mere months after helping the Kings win the Stanley Cup, Gagne found himself being pushed out of the Kings’ lineup. Now that he’s got a chance to fill a hole on a battered squad, Philadelphia can only hope that he helps propel them out of mediocrity.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Washington Capitals won’t get any major reinforcements for this game, but lately they’ve gotten something better: Alex Ovechkin playing like Alex Ovechkin.
The superstar forward hasn’t lived up to expectations in recent years, but he has broken out lately with six goals and 12 points in his last 10 games. His efforts have helped the Capitals win five of their last seven games as Washington tries to dig itself out of a rather sizable hole.
Both teams desperately need points as they try and overcome their early season slumps. That should make for a heated contest.
Washington – Forwards: Marcus Johansson (upper body), Brooks Laich (groin) Defensemen: Jack Hillen (shoulder)
Philadelphia – Forwards: Tye McGinn (eye), Matt Read (ribs), Jody Shelley (hip) Defensemen: Andrej Meszaros (shoulder), Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Chris Pronger (concussion) Defensemen: Goaltenders: Michael Leighton (finger)
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)