Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Ryan Whitney used to be among the best offensive defensemen in the NHL, but after missing big chunks of the previous two seasons due to injuries, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t using Ryan Whitney much this season.
The question is: Would anybody?
If the Oilers have soured on Whitney, then dealing him before his contract expires this summer would make sense, but former NHL GM and coach and current Sportsnet analyst Doug MacLean has been surprised by the lack of interest in him.
“Can they move Whitney?” MacLean said on Team 1260, according to the Edmonton Journal. “I am hearing Whitney, the offers are not coming. There’s very little in the way of an offer for Whitney.
“I’m shocked by that. I haven’t seen him like you guys have, but has he dropped that dramatically that there’s not even offers for him out there?”
MacLean added that he’s even heard from agents that Whitney might be put on waivers, although he doesn’t believe that will actually happen.
Meanwhile Jason Strudwick, who played with the Edmonton Oilers for three seasons, knows Whitney isn’t happy about the fact that the Oilers frequently list him as a healthy scratch.
“I don’t know what the Oilers are trying to accomplish,” Strudwick said. He later added, “They’re just beating the hell out of an asset right now. I don’t see how this ends with anything good for the OIlers.”
Even if there really is that little interest in Whitney right now, the market might heat up as we get closer to the trade deadline. If the Oilers continue to routinely send him to the press box, then a change of scenery would be his best bet to show we he can do before his contract expires.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start the day ahead.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
St. Louis has had Minnesota’s (and the league’s) number lately.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Los Angeles took its seventh win in a row despite the incident.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Keeping pace with other West powers.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Don’t worry, they won’t join the Washington Generals.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Impressively, he returned to action in the second period.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Patrick Kane comes home.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound great for their would-be starter.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Calgary releases a statement on the matter.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 10
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 35
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)