Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Ryan Whitney used to be among the best offensive defensemen in the NHL, but after missing big chunks of the previous two seasons due to injuries, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t using Ryan Whitney much this season.
The question is: Would anybody?
If the Oilers have soured on Whitney, then dealing him before his contract expires this summer would make sense, but former NHL GM and coach and current Sportsnet analyst Doug MacLean has been surprised by the lack of interest in him.
“Can they move Whitney?” MacLean said on Team 1260, according to the Edmonton Journal. “I am hearing Whitney, the offers are not coming. There’s very little in the way of an offer for Whitney.
“I’m shocked by that. I haven’t seen him like you guys have, but has he dropped that dramatically that there’s not even offers for him out there?”
MacLean added that he’s even heard from agents that Whitney might be put on waivers, although he doesn’t believe that will actually happen.
Meanwhile Jason Strudwick, who played with the Edmonton Oilers for three seasons, knows Whitney isn’t happy about the fact that the Oilers frequently list him as a healthy scratch.
“I don’t know what the Oilers are trying to accomplish,” Strudwick said. He later added, “They’re just beating the hell out of an asset right now. I don’t see how this ends with anything good for the OIlers.”
Even if there really is that little interest in Whitney right now, the market might heat up as we get closer to the trade deadline. If the Oilers continue to routinely send him to the press box, then a change of scenery would be his best bet to show we he can do before his contract expires.
May 25, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Impressive flash of the glove by Hank.
May 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward was stirring the pot for a while.
May 25, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Looks like Dougie Hamilton is the odd man out.
May 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken hand.
May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
He avoided a fight in Game 4.
May 25, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Desperation calls for tinkering.
May 25, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
This saga isn’t quite over yet.
May 25, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Kids will learn how to hit later.
May 25, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
This sounds a bit familiar.
May 25, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
He was Philly’s coach for four years.
May 25, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Chicago and New York look to live another day.
May 25, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
His blue line experience was missed.
May 25, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
One loss away from elimination.
May 25, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT
Future of the NHL.
May 25, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
Now, that’s a toe-drag.
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Was Friday’s loss his last NHL games?
May 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh wins in five games.
May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Bad blood, although this seemed unnecessary.
May 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Big developments coming out of the desert.
May 24, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Await winner of Boston-New York.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 66
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 32
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 8
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona