Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Ryan Whitney used to be among the best offensive defensemen in the NHL, but after missing big chunks of the previous two seasons due to injuries, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t using Ryan Whitney much this season.
The question is: Would anybody?
If the Oilers have soured on Whitney, then dealing him before his contract expires this summer would make sense, but former NHL GM and coach and current Sportsnet analyst Doug MacLean has been surprised by the lack of interest in him.
“Can they move Whitney?” MacLean said on Team 1260, according to the Edmonton Journal. “I am hearing Whitney, the offers are not coming. There’s very little in the way of an offer for Whitney.
“I’m shocked by that. I haven’t seen him like you guys have, but has he dropped that dramatically that there’s not even offers for him out there?”
MacLean added that he’s even heard from agents that Whitney might be put on waivers, although he doesn’t believe that will actually happen.
Meanwhile Jason Strudwick, who played with the Edmonton Oilers for three seasons, knows Whitney isn’t happy about the fact that the Oilers frequently list him as a healthy scratch.
“I don’t know what the Oilers are trying to accomplish,” Strudwick said. He later added, “They’re just beating the hell out of an asset right now. I don’t see how this ends with anything good for the OIlers.”
Even if there really is that little interest in Whitney right now, the market might heat up as we get closer to the trade deadline. If the Oilers continue to routinely send him to the press box, then a change of scenery would be his best bet to show we he can do before his contract expires.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)