Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Ryan Whitney used to be among the best offensive defensemen in the NHL, but after missing big chunks of the previous two seasons due to injuries, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t using Ryan Whitney much this season.
The question is: Would anybody?
If the Oilers have soured on Whitney, then dealing him before his contract expires this summer would make sense, but former NHL GM and coach and current Sportsnet analyst Doug MacLean has been surprised by the lack of interest in him.
“Can they move Whitney?” MacLean said on Team 1260, according to the Edmonton Journal. “I am hearing Whitney, the offers are not coming. There’s very little in the way of an offer for Whitney.
“I’m shocked by that. I haven’t seen him like you guys have, but has he dropped that dramatically that there’s not even offers for him out there?”
MacLean added that he’s even heard from agents that Whitney might be put on waivers, although he doesn’t believe that will actually happen.
Meanwhile Jason Strudwick, who played with the Edmonton Oilers for three seasons, knows Whitney isn’t happy about the fact that the Oilers frequently list him as a healthy scratch.
“I don’t know what the Oilers are trying to accomplish,” Strudwick said. He later added, “They’re just beating the hell out of an asset right now. I don’t see how this ends with anything good for the OIlers.”
Even if there really is that little interest in Whitney right now, the market might heat up as we get closer to the trade deadline. If the Oilers continue to routinely send him to the press box, then a change of scenery would be his best bet to show we he can do before his contract expires.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car