Feb 27, 2013, 10:48 AM EDT
Ryan Whitney used to be among the best offensive defensemen in the NHL, but after missing big chunks of the previous two seasons due to injuries, the Edmonton Oilers aren’t using Ryan Whitney much this season.
The question is: Would anybody?
If the Oilers have soured on Whitney, then dealing him before his contract expires this summer would make sense, but former NHL GM and coach and current Sportsnet analyst Doug MacLean has been surprised by the lack of interest in him.
“Can they move Whitney?” MacLean said on Team 1260, according to the Edmonton Journal. “I am hearing Whitney, the offers are not coming. There’s very little in the way of an offer for Whitney.
“I’m shocked by that. I haven’t seen him like you guys have, but has he dropped that dramatically that there’s not even offers for him out there?”
MacLean added that he’s even heard from agents that Whitney might be put on waivers, although he doesn’t believe that will actually happen.
Meanwhile Jason Strudwick, who played with the Edmonton Oilers for three seasons, knows Whitney isn’t happy about the fact that the Oilers frequently list him as a healthy scratch.
“I don’t know what the Oilers are trying to accomplish,” Strudwick said. He later added, “They’re just beating the hell out of an asset right now. I don’t see how this ends with anything good for the OIlers.”
Even if there really is that little interest in Whitney right now, the market might heat up as we get closer to the trade deadline. If the Oilers continue to routinely send him to the press box, then a change of scenery would be his best bet to show we he can do before his contract expires.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)