Feb 27, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Could Daniel Briere be on the move?
That’s the question circulating around Philly this morning after the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli broke word that a pair of teams — the Blues and Bruins — have inquired about the 35-year-old.
Also interesting is that St. Louis and Boston — both likely playoff bound — are kicking the tires on a great playoff scorer (Briere has 108 points in 109 career postseason games.)
Now all that said, Briere doesn’t sound interested in changing addresses.
More, from Seravalli:
Briere, 35, is one player who isn’t going anywhere. The Flyers have not asked Briere to waive his no-trade clause, and it isn’t clear whether they’re interested in moving him, but he provided an answer Tuesday.
Briere has a full no-movement clause – meaning he can’t even be sent to the minors without his permission – and will not waive it to be dealt to any team in the NHL, regardless of destination.
“I don’t want to comment on anything at this point,” Briere told the Daily News. “Trades are not my department. I’ve been a Flyer for a long time. My heart belongs in Philadelphia with the Flyers. I can’t see myself playing anywhere else.”
Briere has two seasons left on the eight-year, $52 million deal he signed back in 2007, though the last two years come at a great price ($3 and $2 million in salary, respectively.)
St. Louis is probably the most intriguing of the two suitors. GM Doug Armstrong was in Philly last week as part of his Eastern Conference tour, and the Blues have some familiarity with Briere – Ken Hitchcock coached against him for years during his tenure behind the Flyers bench, and assistant coach Brad Shaw was with the Phoenix organization while Briere played for the Coyotes.
The Bruins know Briere as well. During their epic collapse from 3-0 up in the 2010 Eastern Conference semifinals, Boston watched as he tallied six points over the final four games of the series, which included the game-tying in Game 7.
Update: Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch writes more about Armstrong “tracking” the Flyers closely.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)