Feb 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Odd development out of Edmonton this morning — the Oilers have placed goalie Nikolai Khabibulin on IR and recalled Yann Danis from AHL Oklahoma City.
Odd, because a number of the local media members don’t recall seeing anything wrong with the 40-year-old netminder following a 31-save effort in Monday’s 3-2 OT loss to Chicago:
Spoke with Khabibulin after Chicago game and he was fine. Yesterday was an off day for the team. Today he’s on IR. #Curious.
— Rob Tychkowski (@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI) February 27, 2013
Nikolai Khabibulin didn’t look hurt vs. Chicago but he’s been placed on IR by Edmonton. For a second time this season Yann Danis called up
— Gene Principe (@GenePrincipe) February 27, 2013
Oilers head coach Ralph Krueger has been riding his veteran netminder recently, starting Khabubilin in four of the last five games, often chalking it up to a “gut” decision over youngster Devan Dubnyk.
“Khabby’s surprised me,” Krueger told the Edmonton Journal. “He’s been an unbelievable competitor in the games he’s played for us.
“He’s showing us why he won a Stanley Cup in Tampa, just on his battle level, coming off such a long break without games and with the [hip] injury he had.”
What’s ironic is that Khabibulin recently commented on how good he was feeling, despite turning 40 in January.
“I am very happy with how things are going, especially physically,” he told the Journal. “Yeah, I am happy I can play.”
Edmonton is currently in the midst of a season-high nine-game road trip because Rexall is hosting the Brier, an annual Canadian curling competition that captivates the nation. Curling comes in around 4th-5th on the Stuff Canadians Like power rankings, often jockeying for position with Caesers and the Tragically Hip.
The Oilers are in Dallas on Thursday, St. Louis on Friday, Minnesota on Sunday and Columbus on Tuesday. Khabibulin could return in time for the Thursday’s game in Detroit on Mar. 7.
Update: Krueger said Khabibulin tweaked his groin against Phoenix on Sunday, then re-aggravated it in overtime against Chicago.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:53 AM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s 7-2 ‘Hawks win.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Now that Jay Feaster’s gone.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:57 AM EST
Pens host the Devils tonight.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:48 AM EST
Incident occurred during Thursday’s Flyers-Habs game in Philly.
Dec 13, 2013, 10:03 AM EST
‘Tis the season to not be joyful about losing.
Dec 13, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
The Badgers are 5-0-1 at home this season.
Dec 13, 2013, 8:15 AM EST
That and all the links to start your day ahead.
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 AM EST
His inconsistent season continues.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:36 AM EST
Quite the funk they’re in when it comes to this aspect.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
Bet these guys were tired after.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
What a day in Calgary. More Brian Burke!
Dec 12, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Yeah, these are tough times.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Didn’t think too highly of it.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
But two points eluded them.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
And it’s getting worse in New York.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Nice moment in Philly.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Montreal defenseman’s night ends early.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 38
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)