Feb 27, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Minnesota rookie Charlie Coyle won’t face a disciplinary hearing for his hit Tuesday night on Calgary’s Matt Stajan, according to an NHL spokesman.
Coyle, 20, was given a five-minute elbowing major for this hit late in the second frame:
Stajan didn’t return for the remainder of the period, but did come back to play 5:49 in the third and 27 seconds in overtime.
On Wednesday, Stajan told reporters he passed concussion tests, but was still experiencing jaw and neck pain from the hit.
“[Coyle] obviously came right at my head,” Stajan told the Calgary Sun. “I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re trying to get out of this league.”
Coyle’s hit garnered the following reactions on Twitter:
For what it’s worth, I think NHL needed to suspend Coyle for hit to Stajan’s head. Looked like a direct shot to his chin to me.
— Wes Gilbertson (@SUNGilbertson) February 27, 2013
If Charlie Coyle is not suspended for his headshot to Matt Stajan, the NHL’s department of player safety should cease operations.
— Ken Campbell (@THNKenCampbell) February 27, 2013
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) February 27, 2013
Coyle has no previous record of supplemental discipline, though that designation doesn’t mean much given he’s only played seven career NHL games.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 43
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 11
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 57
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (57)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (43)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)