Feb 27, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Minnesota rookie Charlie Coyle won’t face a disciplinary hearing for his hit Tuesday night on Calgary’s Matt Stajan, according to an NHL spokesman.
Coyle, 20, was given a five-minute elbowing major for this hit late in the second frame:
Stajan didn’t return for the remainder of the period, but did come back to play 5:49 in the third and 27 seconds in overtime.
On Wednesday, Stajan told reporters he passed concussion tests, but was still experiencing jaw and neck pain from the hit.
“[Coyle] obviously came right at my head,” Stajan told the Calgary Sun. “I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re trying to get out of this league.”
Coyle’s hit garnered the following reactions on Twitter:
For what it’s worth, I think NHL needed to suspend Coyle for hit to Stajan’s head. Looked like a direct shot to his chin to me.
— Wes Gilbertson (@SUNGilbertson) February 27, 2013
If Charlie Coyle is not suspended for his headshot to Matt Stajan, the NHL’s department of player safety should cease operations.
— Ken Campbell (@THNKenCampbell) February 27, 2013
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) February 27, 2013
Coyle has no previous record of supplemental discipline, though that designation doesn’t mean much given he’s only played seven career NHL games.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32