Feb 27, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Minnesota rookie Charlie Coyle won’t face a disciplinary hearing for his hit Tuesday night on Calgary’s Matt Stajan, according to an NHL spokesman.
Coyle, 20, was given a five-minute elbowing major for this hit late in the second frame:
Stajan didn’t return for the remainder of the period, but did come back to play 5:49 in the third and 27 seconds in overtime.
On Wednesday, Stajan told reporters he passed concussion tests, but was still experiencing jaw and neck pain from the hit.
“[Coyle] obviously came right at my head,” Stajan told the Calgary Sun. “I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re trying to get out of this league.”
Coyle’s hit garnered the following reactions on Twitter:
For what it’s worth, I think NHL needed to suspend Coyle for hit to Stajan’s head. Looked like a direct shot to his chin to me.
— Wes Gilbertson (@SUNGilbertson) February 27, 2013
If Charlie Coyle is not suspended for his headshot to Matt Stajan, the NHL’s department of player safety should cease operations.
— Ken Campbell (@THNKenCampbell) February 27, 2013
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) February 27, 2013
Coyle has no previous record of supplemental discipline, though that designation doesn’t mean much given he’s only played seven career NHL games.
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 3
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 15
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)