Feb 27, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Minnesota rookie Charlie Coyle won’t face a disciplinary hearing for his hit Tuesday night on Calgary’s Matt Stajan, according to an NHL spokesman.
Coyle, 20, was given a five-minute elbowing major for this hit late in the second frame:
Stajan didn’t return for the remainder of the period, but did come back to play 5:49 in the third and 27 seconds in overtime.
On Wednesday, Stajan told reporters he passed concussion tests, but was still experiencing jaw and neck pain from the hit.
“[Coyle] obviously came right at my head,” Stajan told the Calgary Sun. “I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re trying to get out of this league.”
Coyle’s hit garnered the following reactions on Twitter:
For what it’s worth, I think NHL needed to suspend Coyle for hit to Stajan’s head. Looked like a direct shot to his chin to me.
— Wes Gilbertson (@SUNGilbertson) February 27, 2013
If Charlie Coyle is not suspended for his headshot to Matt Stajan, the NHL’s department of player safety should cease operations.
— Ken Campbell (@THNKenCampbell) February 27, 2013
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) February 27, 2013
Coyle has no previous record of supplemental discipline, though that designation doesn’t mean much given he’s only played seven career NHL games.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 10
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 24
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)