Feb 27, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Minnesota rookie Charlie Coyle won’t face a disciplinary hearing for his hit Tuesday night on Calgary’s Matt Stajan, according to an NHL spokesman.
Coyle, 20, was given a five-minute elbowing major for this hit late in the second frame:
Stajan didn’t return for the remainder of the period, but did come back to play 5:49 in the third and 27 seconds in overtime.
On Wednesday, Stajan told reporters he passed concussion tests, but was still experiencing jaw and neck pain from the hit.
“[Coyle] obviously came right at my head,” Stajan told the Calgary Sun. “I’m pretty sure that’s what they’re trying to get out of this league.”
Coyle’s hit garnered the following reactions on Twitter:
For what it’s worth, I think NHL needed to suspend Coyle for hit to Stajan’s head. Looked like a direct shot to his chin to me.
— Wes Gilbertson (@SUNGilbertson) February 27, 2013
If Charlie Coyle is not suspended for his headshot to Matt Stajan, the NHL’s department of player safety should cease operations.
— Ken Campbell (@THNKenCampbell) February 27, 2013
Hit by Coyle on Stajan should be a suspension – late & he lunged upward into the jaw. “Finishing the check” is a late, dirty hit.
— Randy Sportak (@SUNRandySportak) February 27, 2013
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) February 27, 2013
Coyle has no previous record of supplemental discipline, though that designation doesn’t mean much given he’s only played seven career NHL games.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 17
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 55
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)