Feb 27, 2013, 12:10 PM EST
In his second stint with the Canadiens, Michael Ryder will be wearing his trusty No. 73.
That was the word out of Montreal on Wednesday as the club announced rookie Brendan Gallagher gave the number to Ryder, who has worn 73 since breaking into the NHL in 2003.
“It was nice of [Gallagher] to give me the 73,” Ryder told the Canadiens website. “It’s the number I wore my whole career.”
Ryder also sported the number in Boston and Dallas, the latter being the club that traded him to Montreal on Tuesday in exchange for Erik Cole.
In making the move, Gallagher will now join some stellar company of No. 11s in Montreal history — four-time Stanley Cup champion Yvon Lambert, current Carolina Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller and former Montreal Captain Saku Koivu.
For those of you thinking this is a gesture of respect from Gallagher, honoring a veteran NHLer making his second tour of duty with his original club….uh, check out Chris Johnston of Sportsnet’s tweet:
Brendan Gallagher, after giving Michael Ryder No. 73: “I heard Rolex makes nice watches.”
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) February 27, 2013
Mar 6, 2015, 1:36 AM EST
Minnesota, Calgary and L.A. all win on Thursday.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:34 AM EST
Philly comes back with three goals in the third period.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:02 AM EST
Arizona snaps 10-game losing streak.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:46 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
Brock Nelson scored the winner.
Mar 5, 2015, 10:23 PM EST
“That. Just. Happened!”
Mar 5, 2015, 10:11 PM EST
“It’s humbling there’s no question.”
Mar 5, 2015, 9:16 PM EST
Once a 30-goal scorer in the NHL.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:40 PM EST
Curtis McKenzie drops the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST
“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”
Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST
Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
That’s former minor-league player Jordan Hart.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST
Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”
Mar 5, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
Might get into coaching.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.
Mar 5, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST
“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”
Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Mar 5, 2015, 1:20 PM EST
Calgary takes on Boston tonight at TD Garden.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54