Feb 27, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Vancouver Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider knows that he hasn’t been living up to expectations and after giving up at least three goals in four consecutive starts, he wasn’t shy about voicing his frustrations.
“It’s getting ridiculous,” he said, according to the NHL.com. “Three or four games in a row giving up three goals or more and you know, I don’t care if they were nice goals or guys wide open, it doesn’t matter.
“You’ve got to make some big saves to give your team a chance to at least get a point.”
Schneider was only able to kick out 18 of 21 shots in Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes.
The game-winner could perhaps be viewed as an unlucky break for Schneider. As you can see below, Antoine Vermette‘s goal bounces off of Schneider’s pad to go in:
Schneider said that calling plays like that bad luck “isn’t good enough right now.” He’s tired of almost making saves.
“We worked hard enough to win tonight I thought,” Schneider said. “It wasn’t a Picasso, but we had the effort and we could have won that game and I’m just getting sick of giving up three goals a night and playing like an OK goalie and not the goalie that I know I can be and that my teammates expect me to be.”
Schneider is in the first season of a three-year, $12 million contract. When he signed the deal, it was thought that Vancouver was going to trade Roberto Luongo and fully embrace Schneider as its number one netminder.
However, Luongo is splitting time with Schneider and has arguably been the better goaltender despite being embarrassed on Sunday.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)