Feb 27, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Vancouver Canucks goaltender Cory Schneider knows that he hasn’t been living up to expectations and after giving up at least three goals in four consecutive starts, he wasn’t shy about voicing his frustrations.
“It’s getting ridiculous,” he said, according to the NHL.com. “Three or four games in a row giving up three goals or more and you know, I don’t care if they were nice goals or guys wide open, it doesn’t matter.
“You’ve got to make some big saves to give your team a chance to at least get a point.”
Schneider was only able to kick out 18 of 21 shots in Tuesday’s 4-2 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes.
The game-winner could perhaps be viewed as an unlucky break for Schneider. As you can see below, Antoine Vermette‘s goal bounces off of Schneider’s pad to go in:
Schneider said that calling plays like that bad luck “isn’t good enough right now.” He’s tired of almost making saves.
“We worked hard enough to win tonight I thought,” Schneider said. “It wasn’t a Picasso, but we had the effort and we could have won that game and I’m just getting sick of giving up three goals a night and playing like an OK goalie and not the goalie that I know I can be and that my teammates expect me to be.”
Schneider is in the first season of a three-year, $12 million contract. When he signed the deal, it was thought that Vancouver was going to trade Roberto Luongo and fully embrace Schneider as its number one netminder.
However, Luongo is splitting time with Schneider and has arguably been the better goaltender despite being embarrassed on Sunday.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)