Feb 27, 2013, 10:45 PM EDT
During the weekend, Ryane Clowe faced a grim situation: his already-rough 2013 season might be greatly impacted by a 10-game suspension. He must be relieved that he only received a two-game punishment, but it sounds like San Jose Sharks fans will still see a little less of him.
That’s because he might not return to the lineup as a top-six forward.
Head coach Todd McLellan explained his reasoning to the Mercury News.
“I don’t think Ryane Clowe should lose his top six role because of a suspension when he got involved to defend a teammate,” McLellan said. “But with that being said, we liked how the lines have been playing up front, creating more scoring opportunities. So we have to do what’s right for the team.”
Beyond simple things like “actually score goals,” the Sharks head coach explained what Clowe, 30, needs to do to regain his place.
“When Clowe comes back, we’ve really stressed his foot speed and keeping his feet moving and using his overall size to drive the net rather than always playing around the boards,” McLellan said. “If he’s going to play well, he’s going to work on that part of his game. But he’s a huge part of our organization.”
With his contract set to expire, he’ll need to finish 2013 in a strong way to avoid being a part of a different organization.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
Jul 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
The 44th overall pick at the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
Plays a similar style to his dad.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Their supporting casts haven’t been this strong in some time.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Pictured listening to Patrick Roy; he’ll next listen to Dave Cameron.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 9
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)