Feb 27, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
If the Chicago Blackhawks are ever going to lose a game in regulation, Thursday night in St. Louis is as likely a night as any.
While Chicago extended its points streak to 19 game with a 3-2 overtime victory over Edmonton on Monday, the Blues haven’t played since Saturday when they beat Columbus, 2-1. In the meantime, St. Louis has been practicing. Hard.
The Blues also have a healthy starting goalie in Jaroslav Halak. The 27-year-old has been very good since returning from a groin injury, surrendering just two goals on 40 shots (.950 save percentage) in two games.
“It would be great [to beat the Blackhawks],” Blues defenseman Ian Cole said Tuesday. “First and foremost, we have to get two points any way we can. Would we rather go out, dominate them and impose our will on them and show we can be a really elite team like they are? Absolutely.
“But they’re obviously a good team. They’re not going to let us step on the ice and beat the (heck) out of them. It’ll be a little harder than that.”
St. Louis is a disappointing 4-4-1 at the Scottrade Center this season. In 2011-12, the Blues’ home record was a dominant 30-6-5 (only Detroit won more games at home), and that’s something they’d like to get back to.
“I think just getting the feeling of winning again is going to do wonders for us at home now,” coach Ken Hitchcock said of his team, which is 4-1-1 in its last six games.
The Blues do, however, have injury concerns after forwards Andy McDonald and Alexander Steen were hurt during Tuesday’s practice. It’s not clear yet how serious those injuries are.
If it’s not St. Louis that gives Chicago its first regulation loss of the season, the Blackhawks host Columbus Friday and are in Detroit Sunday afternoon (on NBC).
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)