Feb 27, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
If the Chicago Blackhawks are ever going to lose a game in regulation, Thursday night in St. Louis is as likely a night as any.
While Chicago extended its points streak to 19 game with a 3-2 overtime victory over Edmonton on Monday, the Blues haven’t played since Saturday when they beat Columbus, 2-1. In the meantime, St. Louis has been practicing. Hard.
The Blues also have a healthy starting goalie in Jaroslav Halak. The 27-year-old has been very good since returning from a groin injury, surrendering just two goals on 40 shots (.950 save percentage) in two games.
“It would be great [to beat the Blackhawks],” Blues defenseman Ian Cole said Tuesday. “First and foremost, we have to get two points any way we can. Would we rather go out, dominate them and impose our will on them and show we can be a really elite team like they are? Absolutely.
“But they’re obviously a good team. They’re not going to let us step on the ice and beat the (heck) out of them. It’ll be a little harder than that.”
St. Louis is a disappointing 4-4-1 at the Scottrade Center this season. In 2011-12, the Blues’ home record was a dominant 30-6-5 (only Detroit won more games at home), and that’s something they’d like to get back to.
“I think just getting the feeling of winning again is going to do wonders for us at home now,” coach Ken Hitchcock said of his team, which is 4-1-1 in its last six games.
The Blues do, however, have injury concerns after forwards Andy McDonald and Alexander Steen were hurt during Tuesday’s practice. It’s not clear yet how serious those injuries are.
If it’s not St. Louis that gives Chicago its first regulation loss of the season, the Blackhawks host Columbus Friday and are in Detroit Sunday afternoon (on NBC).
May 23, 2013, 12:50 AM EDT
They rank first and second in shorthanded goals in the 2013 playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 12:14 AM EDT
It initially made it look like he suffered an injury.
May 22, 2013, 11:40 PM EDT
Trent Whitfield has now been on the wrong end of history twice.
May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
John Tortorella would be proud.
May 22, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
The Penguins “have too much depth.”
May 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
Ottawa’s strong first period was wasted.
May 22, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
He’s been reaching out to agents and players.
May 22, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Mike Halford and Jason Brough tackle that question.
May 22, 2013, 7:58 PM EDT
He also wants to express his gratitude to the Vancouver Canucks.
May 22, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Beau Bennett and Jussi Jokinen have been inserted into the lineup.
May 22, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Two swift playoff exits sunk the Canucks’ coach.
May 22, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
His career has gone downhill since being part of the Hodgson trade.
May 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault joins the fray.
May 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
“As long as they keep winning here, that just gives me a better chance for a return with every win.”
May 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
“Will we look at them? Absolutely.”
May 22, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s power play is just 1-for-12 in its past two games.
May 22, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Vancouver cleans house.
May 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Decent goaltending depth in Anaheim at the moment.
May 22, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Click to read two good reasons.
May 22, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
This should make the Keith Ballard buyout easier to stomach.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (80)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games