Feb 27, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Tuesday’s practice proved costly for the St. Louis Blues.
Today, the club announced two key forwards would be lost after suffering injuries during yesterday’s drills — Andy McDonald is listed as week-to-week with left knee ailment while Alex Steen is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
McDonald, 35, is one of the club’s alternate captains and has 11 points in 18 games this year but has been besieged by injury over the last two seasons, missing 57 games last year with a concussion and bruised right shoulder.
In 2010-11 he missed 24 with concussion issues.
Steen, 28, is also an alternate captain and leads the team in scoring this year with 16 points. Like McDonald, he too has had his fair share of injuries over the last while — he missed 39 games last year with a concussion and 10 games in 2010-11 with an ankle injury.
How the Blues react to losing two of their top scorers remains to be seen.
Rookie sensation Vladimir Tarasenko, tied for third in goals (six), is still out with a concussion and veteran forward Jamie Langenbrunner is out for the year after undergoing hip surgery in early February.
Earlier today, reports surfaced that GM Doug Armstrong had spoken with Philadelphia about the availability of Daniel Briere.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)