Feb 27, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
Tuesday’s practice proved costly for the St. Louis Blues.
Today, the club announced two key forwards would be lost after suffering injuries during yesterday’s drills — Andy McDonald is listed as week-to-week with left knee ailment while Alex Steen is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
McDonald, 35, is one of the club’s alternate captains and has 11 points in 18 games this year but has been besieged by injury over the last two seasons, missing 57 games last year with a concussion and bruised right shoulder.
In 2010-11 he missed 24 with concussion issues.
Steen, 28, is also an alternate captain and leads the team in scoring this year with 16 points. Like McDonald, he too has had his fair share of injuries over the last while — he missed 39 games last year with a concussion and 10 games in 2010-11 with an ankle injury.
How the Blues react to losing two of their top scorers remains to be seen.
Rookie sensation Vladimir Tarasenko, tied for third in goals (six), is still out with a concussion and veteran forward Jamie Langenbrunner is out for the year after undergoing hip surgery in early February.
Earlier today, reports surfaced that GM Doug Armstrong had spoken with Philadelphia about the availability of Daniel Briere.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 17
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)