Feb 26, 2013, 4:09 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have brought a familiar face back into the fold, acquiring Simon Gagne from Los Angeles in exchange for a conditional fourth-round draft pick.
Gagne, 32, was taken 22nd overall by Philly at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and spent his first 10 seasons there.
During his time as a Flyer, he was named to two NHL All-Star teams and twice won the Bobby Clarke Trophy as team MVP.
Gagne was also named to the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2000.
The Flyers traded Gagne to Tampa Bay in 2010, where he posted 40 points in 63 games and 12 in 15 playoff contests as the Lightning advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.
Following his stint with the Lightning, Gagne signed a two-year, $7 million deal with the Kings.
His first year in Los Angeles was marred by injury problems — he missed 47 regular season and 14 playoff games with a concussion, but did draw into the Stanley Cup final, playing four games en route to the first championship of his career (and first in Kings franchise history.)
After undergoing offseason surgery to remove a ‘mass’ from his neck, he declared himself healthy and headache-free.
Gagne has been in and out of the Kings lineup this season, appearing in 11 games while recording no goals and five assists. He’s been a healthy scratch in Los Angeles’ last four games (all of which were wins, coincidentally.)
This isn’t the first time the Flyers have jumped into the way-back machine and brought a familiar face into the fold. In late January the team signed veteran forward Mike Knuble, who was teammates with Gagne in Philadelphia from 2005-09.
Of note, the pick headed to Los Angeles becomes a third-rounder should Philly make the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST
Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 4:59 PM EST
Who will play this week?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST
This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:31 PM EST
Will Mikhail Grabovski step up?
Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 PM EST
The post-All-Star Game portion of the season isn’t starting any better for Buffalo.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 PM EST
He’s been overseeing co-coaches Adam Oates and Scott Stevens.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
He didn’t end up playing in the All-Star Game.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM EST
Remember, the club opted not to amnesty his contract last June.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM EST
Canucks will give Frank Corrado a chance to show what he can do.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Columbus’ star center is having a nice little run at the moment.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EST
They also summoned Josh Anderson.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:23 AM EST
“Everybody felt like I just want a car to drive it.”
Jan 26, 2015, 10:55 AM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk deemed it a “worthy tournament,” though.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:51 AM EST
Including an intriguing game between the Islanders and Rangers.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:47 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
“We’re so proud of our city for showing that hockey is such a big deal here.”
Jan 25, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
“This is something I’ll remember for a very long time.”
Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs
Jan 25, 2015, 8:59 PM EST
“I remember them being quiet in the end when we won.”
Jan 25, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
29 goals in all.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 12
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 104
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (104)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)