Feb 26, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have brought a familiar face back into the fold, acquiring Simon Gagne from Los Angeles in exchange for a conditional fourth-round draft pick.
Gagne, 32, was taken 22nd overall by Philly at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and spent his first 10 seasons there.
During his time as a Flyer, he was named to two NHL All-Star teams and twice won the Bobby Clarke Trophy as team MVP.
Gagne was also named to the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2000.
The Flyers traded Gagne to Tampa Bay in 2010, where he posted 40 points in 63 games and 12 in 15 playoff contests as the Lightning advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.
Following his stint with the Lightning, Gagne signed a two-year, $7 million deal with the Kings.
His first year in Los Angeles was marred by injury problems — he missed 47 regular season and 14 playoff games with a concussion, but did draw into the Stanley Cup final, playing four games en route to the first championship of his career (and first in Kings franchise history.)
After undergoing offseason surgery to remove a ‘mass’ from his neck, he declared himself healthy and headache-free.
Gagne has been in and out of the Kings lineup this season, appearing in 11 games while recording no goals and five assists. He’s been a healthy scratch in Los Angeles’ last four games (all of which were wins, coincidentally.)
This isn’t the first time the Flyers have jumped into the way-back machine and brought a familiar face into the fold. In late January the team signed veteran forward Mike Knuble, who was teammates with Gagne in Philadelphia from 2005-09.
Of note, the pick headed to Los Angeles becomes a third-rounder should Philly make the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
May 22, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
No word on who’ll draw in as a replacement.
May 22, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
No word yet if he’ll be able to play right away.
May 22, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
We really need to get these combos better nicknames, though.
May 22, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
The Rangers need The King to play like one tonight.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
He also reiterates that the salary cap will be about $71M.
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)