Feb 26, 2013, 4:09 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers have brought a familiar face back into the fold, acquiring Simon Gagne from Los Angeles in exchange for a conditional fourth-round draft pick.
Gagne, 32, was taken 22nd overall by Philly at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and spent his first 10 seasons there.
During his time as a Flyer, he was named to two NHL All-Star teams and twice won the Bobby Clarke Trophy as team MVP.
Gagne was also named to the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2000.
The Flyers traded Gagne to Tampa Bay in 2010, where he posted 40 points in 63 games and 12 in 15 playoff contests as the Lightning advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.
Following his stint with the Lightning, Gagne signed a two-year, $7 million deal with the Kings.
His first year in Los Angeles was marred by injury problems — he missed 47 regular season and 14 playoff games with a concussion, but did draw into the Stanley Cup final, playing four games en route to the first championship of his career (and first in Kings franchise history.)
After undergoing offseason surgery to remove a ‘mass’ from his neck, he declared himself healthy and headache-free.
Gagne has been in and out of the Kings lineup this season, appearing in 11 games while recording no goals and five assists. He’s been a healthy scratch in Los Angeles’ last four games (all of which were wins, coincidentally.)
This isn’t the first time the Flyers have jumped into the way-back machine and brought a familiar face into the fold. In late January the team signed veteran forward Mike Knuble, who was teammates with Gagne in Philadelphia from 2005-09.
Of note, the pick headed to Los Angeles becomes a third-rounder should Philly make the playoffs.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
The latter’s in response to Roman Polak’s injury.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The Penguins in general have been spending a lot of time in the sin bin.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
He’ll be in Tampa Bay for the first time since the move on Wednesday.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
David Pastrnak might make his NHL debut.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:02 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:35 AM EST
He was 84.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EST
Suffered a lower body injury Thursday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EST
Arizona was playing in the second game of a back-to-back.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Keeps the game tied 1-1 in the second.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Colorado returns to action on Tuesday night in Arizona.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Playing in his 1,000th NHL game tonight.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Didn’t get a penalty for bumping into the goaltender.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
Scores his eighth of the season.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Was stretchered off the ice Saturday night.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Beauchemin and Perry have already missed games due to the disease this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Had two goals in two AHL games.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Chara placed on long-term injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Paul Maurice irate with the penalty call.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)