Feb 26, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have brought a familiar face back into the fold, acquiring Simon Gagne from Los Angeles in exchange for a conditional fourth-round draft pick.
Gagne, 32, was taken 22nd overall by Philly at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and spent his first 10 seasons there.
During his time as a Flyer, he was named to two NHL All-Star teams and twice won the Bobby Clarke Trophy as team MVP.
Gagne was also named to the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2000.
The Flyers traded Gagne to Tampa Bay in 2010, where he posted 40 points in 63 games and 12 in 15 playoff contests as the Lightning advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.
Following his stint with the Lightning, Gagne signed a two-year, $7 million deal with the Kings.
His first year in Los Angeles was marred by injury problems — he missed 47 regular season and 14 playoff games with a concussion, but did draw into the Stanley Cup final, playing four games en route to the first championship of his career (and first in Kings franchise history.)
After undergoing offseason surgery to remove a ‘mass’ from his neck, he declared himself healthy and headache-free.
Gagne has been in and out of the Kings lineup this season, appearing in 11 games while recording no goals and five assists. He’s been a healthy scratch in Los Angeles’ last four games (all of which were wins, coincidentally.)
This isn’t the first time the Flyers have jumped into the way-back machine and brought a familiar face into the fold. In late January the team signed veteran forward Mike Knuble, who was teammates with Gagne in Philadelphia from 2005-09.
Of note, the pick headed to Los Angeles becomes a third-rounder should Philly make the playoffs.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)