Feb 26, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have brought a familiar face back into the fold, acquiring Simon Gagne from Los Angeles in exchange for a conditional fourth-round draft pick.
Gagne, 32, was taken 22nd overall by Philly at the 1998 NHL Entry Draft and spent his first 10 seasons there.
During his time as a Flyer, he was named to two NHL All-Star teams and twice won the Bobby Clarke Trophy as team MVP.
Gagne was also named to the NHL’s All-Rookie team in 2000.
The Flyers traded Gagne to Tampa Bay in 2010, where he posted 40 points in 63 games and 12 in 15 playoff contests as the Lightning advanced to the Eastern Conference finals.
Following his stint with the Lightning, Gagne signed a two-year, $7 million deal with the Kings.
His first year in Los Angeles was marred by injury problems — he missed 47 regular season and 14 playoff games with a concussion, but did draw into the Stanley Cup final, playing four games en route to the first championship of his career (and first in Kings franchise history.)
After undergoing offseason surgery to remove a ‘mass’ from his neck, he declared himself healthy and headache-free.
Gagne has been in and out of the Kings lineup this season, appearing in 11 games while recording no goals and five assists. He’s been a healthy scratch in Los Angeles’ last four games (all of which were wins, coincidentally.)
This isn’t the first time the Flyers have jumped into the way-back machine and brought a familiar face into the fold. In late January the team signed veteran forward Mike Knuble, who was teammates with Gagne in Philadelphia from 2005-09.
Of note, the pick headed to Los Angeles becomes a third-rounder should Philly make the playoffs.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)