Feb 26, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The latest round in the rivalry between the L.A. Kings and Anaheim Ducks went to the defending Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings scored four answered goals, including three in the third period to take the lead, in a 5-2 win over the Ducks on Monday.
And it may have been a fight between Kings forward Jordan Nolan and Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray early in the second period that swung the momentum. Nolan got the better of Souray in a spirited tilt.
“Souray’s a huge guy and he’s always trying to be an intimidator, all chirping and stuff like that,” Kings blue liner Drew Doughty told NHL.com.
“For [Nolan] to step up like that and beat a guy that’s bigger, stronger than him and beat him pretty good, too. It was great to see.”
After a slow start to the season, no doubt attributable to a Stanley Cup hangover, the Kings have now won six of their last seven games. Their victory halted the Ducks winning streak at six games.
Viktor Fasth sustained his first loss of the season in goal for the Ducks. His record dropped dramatically to 8-1-0.
“It has to come at some point,” Fasth told the Orange County Register of his first loss.
“For every win you have, you get closer to a loss. Just start over. Work hard tomorrow in practice. We’ve got another game in two days. Have to forget this and move on.”
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 12
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 41
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)