Feb 26, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The latest round in the rivalry between the L.A. Kings and Anaheim Ducks went to the defending Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings scored four answered goals, including three in the third period to take the lead, in a 5-2 win over the Ducks on Monday.
And it may have been a fight between Kings forward Jordan Nolan and Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray early in the second period that swung the momentum. Nolan got the better of Souray in a spirited tilt.
“Souray’s a huge guy and he’s always trying to be an intimidator, all chirping and stuff like that,” Kings blue liner Drew Doughty told NHL.com.
“For [Nolan] to step up like that and beat a guy that’s bigger, stronger than him and beat him pretty good, too. It was great to see.”
After a slow start to the season, no doubt attributable to a Stanley Cup hangover, the Kings have now won six of their last seven games. Their victory halted the Ducks winning streak at six games.
Viktor Fasth sustained his first loss of the season in goal for the Ducks. His record dropped dramatically to 8-1-0.
“It has to come at some point,” Fasth told the Orange County Register of his first loss.
“For every win you have, you get closer to a loss. Just start over. Work hard tomorrow in practice. We’ve got another game in two days. Have to forget this and move on.”
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 1
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)