Feb 26, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The latest round in the rivalry between the L.A. Kings and Anaheim Ducks went to the defending Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings scored four answered goals, including three in the third period to take the lead, in a 5-2 win over the Ducks on Monday.
And it may have been a fight between Kings forward Jordan Nolan and Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray early in the second period that swung the momentum. Nolan got the better of Souray in a spirited tilt.
“Souray’s a huge guy and he’s always trying to be an intimidator, all chirping and stuff like that,” Kings blue liner Drew Doughty told NHL.com.
“For [Nolan] to step up like that and beat a guy that’s bigger, stronger than him and beat him pretty good, too. It was great to see.”
After a slow start to the season, no doubt attributable to a Stanley Cup hangover, the Kings have now won six of their last seven games. Their victory halted the Ducks winning streak at six games.
Viktor Fasth sustained his first loss of the season in goal for the Ducks. His record dropped dramatically to 8-1-0.
“It has to come at some point,” Fasth told the Orange County Register of his first loss.
“For every win you have, you get closer to a loss. Just start over. Work hard tomorrow in practice. We’ve got another game in two days. Have to forget this and move on.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)