Feb 26, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
The latest round in the rivalry between the L.A. Kings and Anaheim Ducks went to the defending Stanley Cup champions.
The Kings scored four answered goals, including three in the third period to take the lead, in a 5-2 win over the Ducks on Monday.
And it may have been a fight between Kings forward Jordan Nolan and Ducks defenseman Sheldon Souray early in the second period that swung the momentum. Nolan got the better of Souray in a spirited tilt.
“Souray’s a huge guy and he’s always trying to be an intimidator, all chirping and stuff like that,” Kings blue liner Drew Doughty told NHL.com.
“For [Nolan] to step up like that and beat a guy that’s bigger, stronger than him and beat him pretty good, too. It was great to see.”
After a slow start to the season, no doubt attributable to a Stanley Cup hangover, the Kings have now won six of their last seven games. Their victory halted the Ducks winning streak at six games.
Viktor Fasth sustained his first loss of the season in goal for the Ducks. His record dropped dramatically to 8-1-0.
“It has to come at some point,” Fasth told the Orange County Register of his first loss.
“For every win you have, you get closer to a loss. Just start over. Work hard tomorrow in practice. We’ve got another game in two days. Have to forget this and move on.”
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)