Feb 26, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have placed goalie Martin Brodeur (back) on injured reserve, retroactive to Feb. 24.
Brodeur, 40, has missed New Jersey’s last two games with a sore back and was originally listed as day-to-day.
By putting him on IR retroactively to Sunday, the Devils ensured that he’ll miss at least the next two games — Thursday at Winnipeg, Saturday at Buffalo — before being re-activated.
Things haven’t gone especially well for the Devils with Brodeur on the shelf.
Backhup Johan Hedberg has allowed nine goals on 53 shots over the last two games, losses to Washington and Winnipeg, and is now 2-3-1 on the year with a 2.65 GAA and .900 save percentage.
For added depth at the goaltender position, the Devils have recalled Keith Kinkaid from AHL Albany. The 23-year-old is 17-11-5 with a .905 save percentage this season.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54